ALLENDALE LIBRARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1042978

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1985

Statutory Address: ALLENDALE LIBRARY, DAWSON PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALLENDALE LIBRARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042978 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 08:27:57.

Location

Statutory Address: ALLENDALE LIBRARY, DAWSON PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Allendale

National Grid Reference: NY 83870 55889

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:

NY 8355 ALLENDALE DAWSON PLACE Allendale Town 24/64 House adjoining north end of Allendale Library GV II

The item and the description shall be amended to read: Meeting Room adjoining north end of Allendale Library

Chapel, later Sunday School, now meeting room. Early C19, probably first quarter. Squared rubble with dressed door surrounds and window heads. Concrete tile roof. Single cell structure but street front gives appearance of two storeys, three bays. Ground floor has a pair of boarded doors flanked by 16 pane sashes, three 16 pane sashes above. Rear wall shows 16 pane sash to light the gallery on the left, and a larger one to right lighting the well of the chapel. Gable wall with projecting stones left for bonding into an built extension. Interior: severely plain room without features. Gallery removed, roof structure hidden by modern suspended celing. History: This was the Primitive Methodist Chapel in use previous to the construction of the larger one adjoining it in 1878. This was an important area for Methodism in the C19 with its many adherents from the local lead mines. The two chapels form a visual and historic group.

------------------------------------

ALLENDALE DAWSON PLACE NY 8355 Allendale Town 24/64 Allendale Library

GV II

Chapel, now Library, dated 1878 over porch. Squared stone, raised ashlar quoins and dressings, moulded corbels to eaves, fishscale slate roof, coped gables with kneelers and finials. 1 storey, 5 bays. Right bay has gabled porch projection with boarded door and fanlight with intersecting glazing bars under chamfered pointed arch, paired pointed windows with inscribed panel 'PRIMITIVE METHODIST' and date, above. CHAPEL To left 4 pointed windows with intersecting glazing bars in chamfered surrounds with hoodmoulds. Left return has two triplets of lancets under linked hoodmoulds and small pointed window in gable.

Listing NGR: NY8387055889

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 240184

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing