This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHESTERS MUSEUM

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHESTERS MUSEUM

List entry Number: 1043022

Location

CHESTERS MUSEUM, B6319

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Humshaugh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-May-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 239983

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUMSHAUGH B6319 NY 9170 (south side)

15/224 Chesters Museum

GV II*

Museum. Commissioned before 1895 by Nathaniel George Clayton, nephew of John Clayton who owned the Roman site of Chesters and began the excavations; opened in 1903, after the deaths of Nathaniel and his son John Bertram, for Mrs Nathaniel George Clayton by R Norman Shaw. Coarse local sandstone, rock-faced and snecked, with ashlar dressings. Graduated Lakeland slate roof with long glazed panels, ashlar stack. 1 tall storey, 5 bays, with 2-bay west wing forming L-plan. Extended pedimented west porch has segment-headed door of 6 fielded panels in rusticated architrave, the upper voussoir-like rustications rising to bracketed stone cornice hood. Cornice continues around porch which has narrow left bay with small window. Quoins to porch and to all salient angles. Long elevations blank; windows in gable ends. South end has 2 windows, 1 blocked, and an oculus above. Windows in rusticated architraves with ovolo-moulded cills, friezes and cornices over; oculus in architrave. Deeply-overhanging eaves on long oak braces resting on stone corbels; chimney on gable peak. Eaves overhang even more on long elevations, the outer edges supported on similar long braces. North gabe end has oculus and 1 window; west end of wing has oculus, window and door. All openings except the north window are in architraves and all but the oculi are rusticated. Interior: Entrance lobby leads to main interior space with hammer-beamed boarded roof; similar roof in wing. Corner fireplaces at west angles of main room and back-to-back in the L: architraved openings with swell frieze and cornice, and corniced overmantel block. Good half- glazed panelled internal doors and 6-panel back door in wing. Corbelled stone shelf, around 3 outer walls of main room, inserted circa 1905 to hold Roman sculptured pieces.

Listing NGR: NY9116270425

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 91162 70425

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1043022 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 11:46:52.

End of official listing