This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PRIORY MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PRIORY MILL

List entry Number: 1043323

Location

PRIORY MILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Arlington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Aug-1981

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Nov-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 294968

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ARLINGTON MILTON HIDE TQ 50 NE

18/502D The Mill to the south west of Michelham Priory GV II

the entry shall be amended to read;

TQ 50 NE ARLINGTON MILTON HIDE

18/502D Priory Mill

GV II

Water mill. Mid C16 3 bay timber-framed building refronted c1800. Exterior red brick with grey headers in English bond to ground floor, first floor weatherboarded, including gable end to east. Tiled roof, hipped to west. Two storeys; two windows. First floor has pivoting sashes, ground floor has fixed sashes. Central first floor plank door approached by wooden steps. Underneath is a c1800 fixed casement. Rear elevation has 2 openings with pintle hinges. Wooden water-wheel installed in 1972 during restoration of the mill, the former iron water-wheel of 1896 having been removed in 1924/5. Interior has roof of side purlin and wind-braced construction with raking queen strut and collar beam. Jowled posts and curved windbraces. The sack hoist mechanism is the only early feature to survive. The earliest record of a water mill at Michelham Priory was in 1434. This building appears on an estate map of 1667. [ROHAS Report no 1057 by David and Barbara Martin. Michelham Priory Water Mill leaflet.]

------------------------------------

ARLINGTON MILTON HIDE 1. 5208 The Mill to the south west of Michelham Priory TQ 50 NE 18/502D

II

2. C18. Two storeys. Two windows. Ground floor. Red brick, above weather-boarding. Hipped tiled roof. Probably C17 or earlier, refaced with red brick and grey headers alternately in 1714. Hipped tiled roof. Some casement windows, some sash windows with glazing bars intact. Two-storeyed gabled porch with a stone in the gable inscribed with the initials M.G.A. and the date 1714. Brick chimney breast on north wall.

Listing NGR: TQ5573609308

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 55737 09304

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1043323 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 04:43:21.

End of official listing