EASTERN COLONNADE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1043479

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Sep-1976

Statutory Address: 36-44, THE MARINA

Statutory Address: EASTERN COLONNADE, 40A, THE MARINA

Map

Ordnance survey map of EASTERN COLONNADE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1043479 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 02:12:49.

Location

Statutory Address: 36-44, THE MARINA

Statutory Address: EASTERN COLONNADE, 40A, THE MARINA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Hastings (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 79976 08831

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE MARINA 1. 5204 St Leonards Nos 36 to 44 (consec) No 40A (Eastern Colonnade) formerly listed as Nos 39 to 47 (consec)) TQ 8008 NW 11/198 19.1.51. TQ 7908 NE 10/198 II GV 2. 1828 by James Burton. One of a pair of terraces with Western Colonnade, on either side of the Royal Victoria Hotel. Much altered. Early C19. Stuccoed. Parapet and cornice. 4 storeys. Ground floor projecting Doric colonnade over pavement, the central 2 columns having been restored. Cornice over 2nd floor in places mutilated with only 2 remaining of central 6 Ionic engaged columns on 1st and 2nd floors, 4 pilasters to end house (No 44). At the other end No 36 has been cement rendered and lost all its details. Sash windows in moulded architraves, many have been altered, Nos 37 and 38 have late C19 embellishments with rusticated 1st floor architraves, pediments and balustered aprons to 2nd floor windows with modillion cornices over. Behind the colonnade are modern shop fronts. Slate roofs, some later attic dormers. Part of James Burton's design for St Leonards.

Nos 36 to 44 (consec) and No 40A (Eastern colonnade), Royal Victoria Hotel, Nos 48 to 53 (consec) (Western colonnade), No 57 and Nos 60 to 62 (consec) form a group of which Nos 60, 61 and 62 are of local interest only.

Listing NGR: TQ7997608831

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 293989

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing