DRINKING FOUNTAIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1043623
Date first listed:
30-Mar-1992
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Jun-2001
Statutory Address:
DRINKING FOUNTAIN, SEAHORSES SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DRINKING FOUNTAIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1043623 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 03:59:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
DRINKING FOUNTAIN, SEAHORSES SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Eastbourne (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TV 61920 99208

Details

EASTBOURNE SEAHOUSES SQUARE TV61929920 Drinking Fountain 30.3.1992

II

Drinking fountain. Erected in 1865 by a local resident Elizabeth Curling (1790-1873), restored in 2000. Cast iron structure. Rectangular with two intertwined dolphins on top supporting a lantern (restored), all raised on three octagonal Portland stone steps (restored). Mutule cornice above panels and fasces below. Alternate sides have tap, bowl and two small circular shelves on which rested the drinking cups (now missing). The other faces have oval inscription panels each engraved 'erected MDCCCLXV'. One has the biblical text 'Jesus said whoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again' the other, 'Jesus said whoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst'. Originally this drinking fountain was positioned along Seaside, but it was moved in the 1950's to a location on the corner of Langney Road/Seaside before being fully restored and moved to its present position in 2000. Old photographs show it originally had a gas lantern on top.



Listing NGR: TV6189799376

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
293634
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01435/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Nash. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].