BARBICAN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1043818

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: BARBICAN HOUSE, 169, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARBICAN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1043818 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 19:30:49.

Location

Statutory Address: BARBICAN HOUSE, 169, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes (District Authority)

Parish: Lewes

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

National Grid Reference: TQ 41407 10042

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 4110 SW LEWES HIGH STREET 9/237 (north side)

25.2.52 No 169 (Barbican House)

GV II*

House, now museum. Late C16 with later C17 and early C18 alterations, refronted in mid C18. Red brick with cement plinth, red brick dressings, plat bands and moulded cornice and parapet to plain tiled hipped roof. Tall end stacks, on parapet at left end. 3 storeys and basement; regular 5 window front, sashes without glazing bars, those on second floor shorter than those below. Central entrance with round arch on antae and taller outer Doric columns supporting entablature hood. Panelled door with Gothick-glazed fanlight. Two segment-headed windows breaking into plinth above basements. Left return front, facing Castle Gate, canted in centre with 3 - 2 windows, those in extreme right-hand bay blind. Tripartite sash breaking through parapet in former hoist housing to right. Interior: Roofs; Dragon post for gable jetty in library on second floor. Most roofs rebuilt in Cl7 or early C18. Ground-floor room with moulded fireplace with Tudor-arched head and inscribed IMH 1579,(John and Mary Holmwood). Iron-age room; Fireplace late C17, with tapering pilasters, acanthus volute brackets and floral decorated frieze. Oak room; Late C16 panelling, some carved. Tudor-arched stone fireplace with moulded soffit and spandrels. First-floor rooms with further C16 or early C17 panelling, the room to the front with fielded panelling of c. 1710. Early C18 stair with open ramped rail and turned column-on-vase balusters with square knops. L-shape with short lowest flight. Panelled dado. Underside of flight above plastered as is ceiling of first-floor landing. Upper part of stairs late Cl7 with wide open spiral balusters.

Listing NGR: TQ4140310050

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 293218

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing