HARVEY'S BREWERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1043864
Date first listed:
29-Oct-1985
Statutory Address:
HARVEY'S BREWERY, CLIFFE HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HARVEY'S BREWERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1043864 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 23:55:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
HARVEY'S BREWERY, CLIFFE HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Lewes (District Authority)
Parish:
Lewes
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
TQ 41978 10289

Details

In the entry for

TQ 4110 SE LEWES CLIFFE HIGH STREET (north side)

Cliffe 10/43 Harvey's Brewery The description shall be amended to read by adding as last sentence - "NB: Two- storey extension recently erected on to west face of hoist house".

------------------------------------

TQ 4110 SE LEWES CLIFFE HIGH STREET 10/43 (north side) Cliffe

Harvey's Brewery

GV II*

Brewery. Early C19, almost completely remodelled by William Bradford circa 1881, with semi-continuous alterations of a minor nature since, particularly internal. Red brick with orange dressings, toothed impost bands on ground floor and between ground and first floors and moulded cornice-type impost-band on first floor. Moulded brick cornices to plain tiled roofs. Main block to left of centre with four-storey tower on righthand part. Cornice above third stage to louvred wooden fourth stage with board reading HARVEYS to west. Slightly arched heads to individual louvres, 4 X 5, with steep hipped roof with bellcast, very short ridge and double conjoined finial with weather-vane to west. Weather-vane marked 1626 T SE found during excavations for foundations in 1881. Three storeys to left with parapet-gabled third stage, added and recessed. Irregular fenestration of two windows on third floor, 2 on second floor and 2 on ground floor, symmetrically disposed about a wide arched entrance with double doors and arched light. All windows segment-headed, except those on ground floor, and with large iron casements with glazing bars and nodal bosses. Single sash in third floor addition to left. Two-storey block to left with segmental arch on ground floor. Doubled half-glazed doors in centre with half-glazed outer panels. Glazed top-lights with large inset fanlight over doors. Cantilevered wide octagonal bay above with tile-hanging below timber-framing with brick infill. Plain casements on canted sides and on centre of front face with deep glazed and leaded top lights of stained and bottle bottom glass. Window on cant to right with louvred shutter. Panelled wooden cornice with small glazed lights inset to hipped roof. Block continues to right, obscured by later additions on ground floor but with the original windows with iron glazing and nodal bosses above. Additions to left and behind as well as projecting towards the west. Tall octagonal brick tapering chimney in angle; the top third has been rebuilt with an oversailing cornice. 11 iron straps surround the chimney which sits on a stone bolection-moulded plinth. Hoist-house on right corner of main tower, timber-framed and panelled below with shouldered arched glazing above. Bracketted cornice with panelling and glazed roundels. 2-storey 5 bay wing to right with 4 small iron glazed and nodal bossed windows on first floor and door in second bay from right. Single storey extensions on ground floor of no special interest, extending as a canopy underneath the hoist- house. Interior: Board Room. Mid-C19 Italianate fireplace. Malt store. Malt mill in place. Tower hoist. Mash tun room. Mash tun in place. Steam engine survives though no longer used commercially; Pontifex and Wood, Shoe Lane, London. Single cylinder horizontal engine. The designs by William Bradford for the Brewery were published in the Brewer's Journal, 15:xi:1881, including a perspective.



Listing NGR: TQ4197810289

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
293022
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Brewers Journal' in Brewers Journal, , Vol. 15, (1881)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09554/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert J Harvey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].