THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1043918
Date first listed:
20-Aug-1965
Statutory Address:
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1043918.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 19:33:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Lewes (District Authority)
Parish:
Glynde
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
TQ 45647 09267

Details

GLYNDE 1. 5206 The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin TQ 4509 31/526 20.8.65

II*

2. Church of England. Built by John Morris of Lewes to the design of Sir Thomas Robinson in 1763-5 for Dr Richard Trevor of Glynde Place who was Bishop of Durham from 1752-1771. The north, south and east walls are of cobbles on a ashlar base. The west or entrance front is faced with knapped flints on an ashlar base with ashlar quoins and pediment set in a wooden surround with modillions. Stone cartouche of the arms of Dr Richard Trevor in the tympanum of the pediment. Above is an ashlar cupola containing a bell. Large ashlar porch with pediment containing a round-headed doorway with semi-circular fanlight and large double doors. The interior retains its contemporary fittings such as box-pews and screen. But the gallery was inserted in 1841 and the chancel repaired in 1894. The east window was designed by William Peckitt.

Listing NGR: TQ4564709267

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
292942
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00580/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert J Harvey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].