This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1044120



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Rother

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Brede

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Aug-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 292406

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



46/24 Brede Place

3.8.61 II*

Rebuilt by Robert Oxenbridge in the C15 in sandstone ashlar or stone rubble with ashlar dressings, to which a few alterations or additions were made in the C16 in red brick. The main front faces west. 2 storeys and attic. 8 windows. 2 dormers and 3 attic windows in gables. The hall was in the centre, the chapel at the south end. The front has 3 projections. The southernmost one is C15 and contains the chapel. It has a square-headed window of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights on both ground and first floors. The other two projections are C16 additions in red brick made by Sir Goddard Oxenbridge. The centre one has splayed angles and a hipped roof, and originally had doorways into it from both the hall and the solar but one is now blocked. The northernmost projection forms the entrance. It has a gable to both its west and south faces and a four-centred doorway with brick hood mould over. Buttress at the north west angle of the front. Casement windows, mostly modern. The south front has one pointed C15 window and 3 cinquefoil headed lights and tracery above, which lights the chapel, and 2 chimney breasts. The east front has 4 windows and 3 large and two small dormers. Large C16 crow- stepped brick gable in the centre. Modern casement windows. From 1712-1936 the house was owned by the Frewen family of Brickwall, Northiam. This was one of the finest historic buildings in Sussex but has recently been badly damaged by fire and largely gutted. It has now been reconstructed and extended.

Listing NGR: TQ8363918324

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 83639 18324


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044120 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 04:47:43.

End of official listing