THE WATER TOWER (STANDING IN THE NORTH EAST CORNER OF THE CHURCHYARD)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1044326

Date first listed: 12-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: THE WATER TOWER (STANDING IN THE NORTH EAST CORNER OF THE CHURCHYARD), CHURCH SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE WATER TOWER (STANDING IN THE NORTH EAST CORNER OF THE CHURCHYARD)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044326 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 21:35:26.

Location

Statutory Address: THE WATER TOWER (STANDING IN THE NORTH EAST CORNER OF THE CHURCHYARD), CHURCH SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Rother (District Authority)

Parish: Rye

National Grid Reference: TQ 92176 20322

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1578 CHURCH SQUARE

The Water Tower (standing in the north- east corner of the churchyard) TQ 9220 1/2 12.l0.51.

II* GV

2. The Water Tower is scheduled as an AM. Erected in 1733-1735. Red brick. Built in 2 sections, both oval in shape, the lower having a coved brick roof forming half a dome surmounted at its inner ridge or apex by the upper section. Tiled-roof with a lead ridge and a pointed wooden pinnacle. On the east and west sides of the upper section are rectangular openings with segmental heads containing wooden shutters with oval openings in the centre. The lead pump attached is dated 1826.

The Water Tower, Nos 1 to 5 (odd) and Nos 2 to 12 (even) form a group.



Listing NGR: TQ9217620322

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 291907

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing