BAYNARDS PARK MANSION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1044362

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1960

Statutory Address: BAYNARDS PARK MANSION, BAYNARDS PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAYNARDS PARK MANSION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044362 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 12:24:59.

Location

Statutory Address: BAYNARDS PARK MANSION, BAYNARDS PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Waverley (District Authority)

Parish: Ewhurst

National Grid Reference: TQ 08514 36860

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 03NE EWHURST C.P. BAYNARDS PARK

6/157 Baynards Park 9/3/60 Mansion

GV II

Mansion. Built by Sir George More of Loseley after 1587. Extended and remodelled in c1832 - 1840 by The Rev. Thomas Thurlow employing Thomas Rickman and Benjamin Ferrey. Possibly later remodelled by Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt. The majority of the house was burnt in 1979 with only the clock tower (C19) surviving. Brick tower with stone angle quoins, whitewashed on lower stages. Stone/cupola above crowned by lead ogee-dome under weathervane finial. Stone panel on each face of upper stage of tower, small dormers in dome. Tower now standing in over- grown brick paved courtyard.

BRITISH MUSEUM:- ADD MSS 37802 VOL X - "Work Books of Thomas Rickman". GENTLEMANS MAGAZINE 1837 - Vol. 8 New Series August. p.175 HISTORY OF THE GOTHIC REVIVAL: C. Eastlake (1872) Reprinted in 1970 & edited by J. Mordant Crook. BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY. (1971) - p.105.



Listing NGR: TQ0851436860

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 291796

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Eastlake, C , History of the Gothic Revival, (1970)
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 105
'Gentlemans Magazine' in August, (1837)

End of official listing