PEPER HAROW HOUSE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- PEPER HAROW HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044443 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 01:29:30.
- Statutory Address:
- PEPER HAROW HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Waverley (District Authority)
- Peper Harow
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 93567 43929
SU 94SW PEPER HAROW C.P. PEPER HAROW PARK
5/75 Peper Harow House (formerly 9/3/60 listed as Peper Harow Mansion) I
Country House, now an approved school. Designed 1765-8 by Sir William Chambers for the Third Viscount Middleton, completed by the Fourth Viscount in 1775-7. North porch added in 1843 by C. R. Cockerell, third storey and north wing added in 1913 by the First Earl of Middleton.
Yellow stock brick with stone window dressings, balustraded parapet and rusticated angle quoins. Roofs obscured by parapets but probably low pitch, hipped slate. Original house:cube of 5 by 7 bays, wing to right. Entrance front:- Two storeys over basement with attic over stone cornice. Balustraded parapet, brick parapet raised higher over originally central 3 bays, which project slightly. 4 pilaster strips to parapet with crowning urns and central cartouche. Five 16-pane glazing-bar sash windows to attic floor, four 12-pane glazing bar sash windows to first floor. Two "Venetian" windows to ground floor with projecting entablatures over side lights. Glazing bar sash windows left and right of centre flanking a two storey stone porch with balustraded parapet above.One first floor window on porch in between angle pilasters. Doric columns to ground floor with triglyph frieze. Coronets and rosettes to metopes of cornice frieze, arched windows to sides. Double doors of four fielded panels with projecting hood over console brackets. 3 bay C20 range to right with three windows on first and attic floors, one Venetian window to ground floor. Single storey service wing to right.
Left hand return front (South): 7 bays with quoined angles. Architrave surrounds to first floor windows, glazing bar sash windows to ground floor under architrave hoods. In the centre of the roof balustrade is a cartouche with human figure supporters dressed in armour. Garden front (West):- Central three bays project under brick parapet with crowning urns, balustraded parapet to flanking bays. Five glazing bar sash windows to each floor, Venetian windows to outer bays of ground floor. Central three windows to ground floor under projecting hoods, centre window pedimented. Interior:- Hall - 6 doorways, doors of fielded panels in egg and dart mouldings. Adam style fireplace, marble, with festoons etc. Ox skulls and drapery swags with three portrait medallions to chimney breast. Simple iron staircase, top lit by lunettes in narrow wall. Two plaster ceilings by Chambers, to south east and south west corner rooms with fine chimney pieces designed by Chambers and carved by Wilton. Drawing Room ceiling oval with Greek key and entwined rose pattern. Painting on dining room ceiling possibly by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p.408.
Listing NGR: SU9356743929
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 408
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.