HATCH MILL AND HOUSE (OCCUPIED BY THE WEST SURREY COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1044607
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1950
Statutory Address:
HATCH MILL AND HOUSE (OCCUPIED BY THE WEST SURREY COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN), FARNHAM BY PASS

Map

Ordnance survey map of HATCH MILL AND HOUSE (OCCUPIED BY THE WEST SURREY COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044607 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 15:24:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
HATCH MILL AND HOUSE (OCCUPIED BY THE WEST SURREY COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN), FARNHAM BY PASS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Waverley (District Authority)
Parish:
Farnham
National Grid Reference:
SU 84627 47054

Details



1099 FARNHAM BY PASS HATCH MILL AND HOUSE (occupied by the West Surrey College of Art and Design) SU 8447 SE 3/142 26.1.50. II 2. L-shaped block. Mill House late C18. 2 storeys; brick with flat moulded eaves and slate roof. Flanking chimneys. 3 windows, 4 panes wide, on 1st floor; 2 windows on ground floor. Central 6-panel door, reeded panels with, arched fanlight of half balloon pattern in rectangular panel with fan ornament to spandrels, in doorcase of reeded pilasters, broken entablature and narrow cornice hood. Long range of Mill buildings at right angles to left hand. 2 storey. Brick with half-hipped old tile roof and irregular modern casements and doors. Roughly 7 bays; original wing of Mill extends probably as far as gable end comprising 8th bay from southeast end. Continuous painted band across front. Much altered. Later extension to north-west and behind. No longer in use as a mill. [Willey Mill (Alton Road), Bourne Mill (Guildford Road) High Mill and Bourne Place (both in Moor Park Lane) are also listed. Although all these mills except Bourne Mill are Cl8 buildings; and are later than the period when Farnham was one of the great corn markets of South England, they are all good buildings of their kind with attractive mill houses, worthy of preservation as a reminder of an historical past and for architectural interest.

Listing NGR: SU8462747054

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
290953
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].