WILLIAM COBBETT PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1044674

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Dec-1972

Statutory Address: WILLIAM COBBETT PUBLIC HOUSE, 4, BRIDGE SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WILLIAM COBBETT PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044674 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 04:32:56.

Location

Statutory Address: WILLIAM COBBETT PUBLIC HOUSE, 4, BRIDGE SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Waverley (District Authority)

Parish: Farnham

National Grid Reference: SU 84148 46523

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 8446 NW 6/120 SU 8446 7/120 1099 26.4.50.

BRIDGE SQUARE (South East Side) No 4 (William Cobbett Public House)

(Formerly listed as The Jolly Farmers and Bridge Stores, Firgrove Hill)

GV II*

The birthplace of William Cobbett. C17, 2 storey. Red brick on projecting plinth. String at 1st floor level. Wood band at eaves and early C19 cut board caves pelmet. Old tile roof. Chimney to left hand, and stooped chimney to right hand of front in angle formed by projecting gabled wing of timber frame with plaster infilling (formerly Bridge Stores), old tile roof. Main front has 5 2-light leaded casements with early Cl9 lights of long diamond pattern. 2 5-light casements (originally probably 4 windows of 2 lights each and now joined up) and central half-glazed double doors under cantilevered flat hood. The right hand wing has a small central attic casement. 1 casement on 1st floor. On ground floor, 3 small 2-light casement windows with frosted glass panes. Note: Illustrated "Country Life", July 3rd 1942.

The listed buildings in Bridge Square, Firgrove Hill (West Side), Red Lion Lane (North West Side) and Nos 57 and 59 Abbey Street, form a group.



Listing NGR: SU8415546523

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 290823

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 3 July, (1942)

End of official listing