CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1044720

Date first listed: 22-Jul-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044720 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 01:49:52.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Woking (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 99714 59154

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 95NE BOROUGH OF WOKING CHURCH HILL, HORSELL

5/22 Church of St. Mary the 22/7/53 Virgin. GV II*

Church. C15 tower and nave with enlargement and restorations in late C19, partly by W.F. Unsworth. Carstone,flint, with puddingstone and clunch to the tower; plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave with C20 Baptistry, aisles and aisle chapels, chancel and vestry to north east. 3 stage tower with diagonal buttresses to first and second stages, battlemented top and clock on south face of first stage.

Interior: Four bay C15 nave arcade on octagonal piers, eastern bay C19. Baptistry to north west; marble floored, painted wood panelling to walls and ceiling, iron gates to nave. Fittings; C19, bowl and stem stone font in baptistry, C19 sedelia on south wall of chancel, C15 piscina in south nave wall.

Monuments: South nave wall: To James Fenn, died 1793 old fashioned "kneeler" type, polychrome marble, husband and wife facing each other across a book littered table all under pointed arch. North aisle wall: Brass to John Sutton, died 1603 : standing figure with hands clasped. Brass to Thomas Sutton died 1603: standing figure with clasped hands. Brass to Faith Sutton died 1603, wife of John Sutton. 3 standing figures, including 2 men.

West wall: John William Rose, died October 1803. Grey and white marble, husband and wife standing either side of central urn containing wreathed profile portra...s. Bracketed cill and inscription underneath; by younger Bacon. John Greene 1651. Oval cartouche of black marble with scroll carved surrounds.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England : Surrey pp_320-1

Listing NGR: SU9971459154

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 290725

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1982), 320-321

End of official listing