CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1044724
Date first listed:
22-Jul-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044724 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 11:28:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Woking (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 02084 56845

Details

TQ 05 NW 6/37

BOROUGH OF WOKING CHURCH STREET (east side) OLD WOKING Church of St. Peter

22/7/53

GV I Church. C12, chancel addition C13, tower C15, south porch C16. Vestry added and Church restored in 1886. Mortar rendered rubblestone with carstone in nave walling, freestone ashlar to tower, brick south porch, rendered chancel and flint vestry; plain tiled roofs. West tower, 3 bay nave, south aisle and porch, chancel to east with vestry addition to north corner. 2 stage tower, angle buttresses to first stage containing tiles and brickwork, brick dressed square casement window over arched west door. Battlemented unbuttressed stage above with clock face on north and west sides. South porch with centre roll moulded depressed arch to door, niches to either side, crowstepped gable above. C13 Lancet windows to south side of chancel, renewed 3 light window to east with curvillinear tracery, renewed C15 windows to south aisle. West door within the tower c1100, oak with large iron C straps and horizontal bands in roll moulded arched surround with cushion capitals to piers. Octagonal piers to south aisle arcade, 3 crown post trusses to nave roof, chancel arch doubled chamfered to choir, single chamfer to nave. Fittings: Arcaded west gallery dated 1622, pulpit in similar style, although altered, having lozenge patterning. Nave font C19, stone decorated Gothic style, bowl on stem with surrounding marble columns. Some late medieval pews survive the remainder are copies.

Monuments: Chancel North wall: Sophia Flayer Jervis died 1834: Grey and white marble, draped female figure on coffin. South wall: Johannes Lloyd, died 1663: stone artisan tablet with open pediment enclosing smaller segmental pediment to top, strapwork decoration, central black marble tablet. Nave: North wall: William Harvest, died 1741, grey marble panel, flanking piers and crowning acorn. Reverend R. Emily, died 1792 by R. Westmacott Snr; White marble, fluted piers flanking a pedimented niche, central draped urns, scrolls to cill. South Aisle: South wall: Thomas Bund, died 1776, grey and white marble obelisk top winged cherubs heads below. John Merest, died 1752, white marble, fluted Ionic pilasters with flanking scrolls, crowning cherubs heads either side of a coat of arms, gadrooning to base.

Brasses: To John Shadhet, died 1527, Isabelle and Henry Purdon died 1523: standing figures with hands folded in prayer.

Listing NGR: TQ0208456845

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
290738
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/07549/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ray Pettit. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].