DILSTON CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1044775
Date first listed:
15-Apr-1969
Statutory Address:
DILSTON CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DILSTON CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044775.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 07:36:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
DILSTON CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Corbridge
National Grid Reference:
NY 97553 63286

Details

CORBRIDGE DILSTON HALL NY 96 SE 9/129 Dilston Castle 15.4.69 GV I

Towerhouse, probably built by Sir William Claxton in early C15, enlarged later C15, and C16 by Radcliffes (later Earls of Derwentwater); remodelled c.1620 as part of Dilston Hall, altered when Hall was rebuilt 1710-15. Squared stone with dressings; roofless. L-plan.

East elevation in 3 parts. Centre 3 storeys, 1 wide bay. 2 small round-headed lights on ground floor, each with circular gunloop beneath. 1st floor has large C18 window with raised stone surround , part of a trompe l'oeil window in similar surround to left and earlier chamfered loop to right; 2nd floor, now ruinous, shows part of another C18 window. Set back to left, later C15 4-storey south turret has original chamfered loops on ground and 2nd floors and later doorways to 1st and 2nd floors (latter blocked). At right, projecting 5-storey 2-bay end of C16 wing shows boarded door under flattened triangular head with tiny loop to right; upper floors have 2-light windows (some mullions missing); moulded cornice, remains of crenellated parapet. In angle of centre and wing, taller corbelled-out turret with chamfered loop.

North wall of wing shows various openings to former C16 hall block, including remains of Great Chamber fireplace at 1st floor level. South end of south turret shows ground-floor slit with gunloop, and 2-light C15 and C16 windows to upper floors. West elevation shows similar loops, and several 2- and 3-light windows with transoms and hoodmoulds to upper floors; corbelled-out stack to 2nd floor. To right, south turret has chamfered loops, and 2-light window to 1st floor.

Interior: segmental barrel vaults on ground floor. C16/C17 moulded fireplaces to 1st and 2nd floors. C15 1st floor fireplace in south turret has corbelled- out lintel. Stone winder stair (partly collapsed at time of survey) in C16 wing.

Historical notes. Foundations removed 1881 may have been of earlier medieval castle of Divelstons. Best known for its connections with the popular 3rd Earl of Derwentwater, executed 1716 for his part in the Jacobite rebellion; after the death of his son in 1731 the Derwentwater estates were seized by the Government and passed to the Greenwich Hospital Trustees, who in 1765 demolished the Hall except for the original towerhouse.

Northumberland County History X, 286-96.

Roofless and in poor condition at time of survey.

Listing NGR: NY9754963291

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
239890
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Craster, H H E, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parish of Corbridge, , Vol. 10, (1914), 286-96

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06671/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kenneth Robinson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].