CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1044799
Date first listed:
24-May-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044799.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Apr-2021 at 05:00:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bywell
National Grid Reference:
NZ 03764 65240

Details

BYWELL NEWTON HALL NZ 06 NW 6/87 Church of St. James

II

Church, built 1857 as chapel of ease, enlarged 1873. Squared tooled stone with tooled-and-margined (1857) or tooled (1873) dressings; red tile roof. Aisleless nave with west tower and south porch, transepts, chancel with north vestry. C14 Gothic style, the 1857 chapel (the present nave) being modelled on the chapel of St. Bartholomew's Hospital at Cowley, Oxford.

3-stage west tower with moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses and north stair turret; 3-light west window, 2-light belfry openings, embattled parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Nave has two 2-light windows, differing in detail, to north and south; south porch has pointed arch and IHS in foiled panel over. Transepts and chancel with moulded plinth and string courses; angle buttresses to south transept, diagonal buttresses to chancel and north transept; various 2-light windows and 3-light east window. Eaves cornice to chancel with square flower ornament. Coped gables with finial crosses.

Interior: Tall tower arch with embattled respond capitals; chancel arch with ballflower, on shafted responds with angel corbels. Rib-vaulted tower and south transept. Painted panelled chancel ceiling. Carved stone reredos, tiled stepped sanctuary with brass rail. North transept as organ chamber. Elaborately-carved octagonal font with symbols of Evangelists. Some marble memorial tablets including 1914-18 War Memorial. Glass by Clayton and Bell.

Listing NGR: NZ0376465240

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
239848
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05546/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].