Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044831 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 13:27:51.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 04839 61492


BYWELL BYWELL NZ 0461 23/66 Church of St. Andrew 15.4.69 GV I

Parish Church. Pre-Conquest nave and tower; upper part of tower early C11, nave and lower part of tower probably earlier. Chancel and south transept early C13. Alterations 1830,1850 by John Dobson, and addition of north transept, chapel, vestry and probably south porch 1871 by William Slater of London. Pre-Conquest fabric heavy roughly-squared rubble with massive quoins, medieval parts coursed rubble, C19 parts squared tooled stone with tooled ashlar quoins and dressings; stone slate roofs. Alterations in C13 style. Cruciform with west tower, north vestry and chapel, south porch.

Tall tower with string courses below and above belfry; apparent buttresses are remains of west gable of taller Pre-Conquest nave. Lower stage has original round-headed window on south, and similar window above C19 lancet on west; on south, just below belfry, high-level doorway with monolithic arched head and projecting imposts and bases which link to stripwork surround. Two-light belfry openings with baluster mullions, impost blocks and stripwork surrounds; circular sound holes (cf. Billingham) in tympana and to either side.

C19 porch with chamfered arch and trefoiled niche under steep gable. C19 lancets throughout, paired in transepts and triplet at east end. Traces of old north nave door and priest's door in chancel. 18 medieval cross slabs (9 complete) re-set in walls on north. Chancel, south transept and C19 parts have chamfered plinths and coped gables with moulded kneelers and finial crosses.

Interior: South door inside porch has chamfered C13 arch with hoodmould, holding C19 door with floral ironwork. Slightly-pointed double-chamfered tower arch may be post-medieval, on older square jambs. Double-chamfered chancel arch on moulded capitals with altered responds, and squint to south. Similar south transept arch on corbels with nailhead; north transept arch is a copy. North chapel has 2 moulded arches on circular pier to chancel and single similar arch to transept. Piscinae in chancel and south transept. Re-set cross slabs as door and window lintels.

Mosaic reredos with SS Peter and Paul, mosaic paving in sanctuary, brass communion rail. Carved pulpit with Frosterley marble shafts to pointed arcading; carved stone eagle lectern. Octagonal font on old moulded base. Part of Saxon cross set on Roman carved block in chancel. Early C19 memorial tablet in south transept. Good Annunciation glass in north transept, Kings and shepherds in north chapel and Resurrection in east window.

H.M. and J. Taylor, 'Anglo-Saxon Architecture' Vol. I (1965) 121-122.

Listing NGR: NZ0484261493


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Taylor, H M, J , , Anglo Saxon Architecture, (1965), 121-122


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05180/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].