CHURCH OF ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1044835

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1951

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044835 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Apr-2019 at 13:50:21.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Rochester

National Grid Reference: NT 77074 02336

Details

ROCHESTER BYRNESS NT 70 SE 8/72 Church of St. Francis of Assisi 10.11.51 (formerly listed as Byrness Church)

GV II

Parish church. 1796. Restored, gothicized and chancel partly rebuilt 1884 by F.R. Wilson.

Ashlar with stone slate roof. Nave, chancel, west baptistry/vestry, north porch and west bellcote.

Two-bay nave has gabled porch to right; round-headed doorway with keystone and impost blocks. C18 round-headed nave windows with C19 Decorated tracery. One-bay chancel with 2-light Decorated east window. Gabled roofs with flat coping. Round-arched bellcote with ball finial.

Interior: inner doorway dated 1796. Otherwise all of 1884. Double-chamfered chancel arch rising from corbels bearing colonettes with waterleaf capitals. South window of 1903 commemorating the men, women and children who died during. the construction of the reservoir at Catcleugh; an adjacent brass plate records the names of 64 persons who died between 1891 and 1904. Canted timber ceiling with arched braces on stone corbels and false hammerbeams bearing crosses. Sanctuary has fine encaustic tiles with geometric patterns and symbols of the Evangelists.

Listing NGR: NT7707402336

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 239732

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing