CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1044915
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044915.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 04:25:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Kirkwhelpington
National Grid Reference:
NY 99653 84420

Details

NY 98 SE KIRKWHELPINGTON KIRKWHELPINGTON VILLAGE

7/82 Church of St.Bartholomew 10.11.51

GV II*

Parish church. C12 fragments. Chancel and nave largely C13 with C15 alterations. Restored 1897. Dressed stone and Lakeland slate roof. West tower, nave, chancel and south porch.

West tower of several builds. Lower masonry C12 or C13. Low, late Perpendicular west door with Tudor lintel. Buttresses of various dates C13-C16. Battlements and crocketed pinnacles Perpendicular features. Victorian 3-light bell openings with Perpendicular tracery.

Similar windows in 3-bay C13 nave. South porch, possibly C16, has plain chamfered round arch and sundial above dated 1764. South door is C13 and has 2 orders of columns, with nailhead in the capitals, and multi-moulded arch. Nave north wall has one original and one Victorian lancet.

Chancel has blocked priest's door and one lancet on south side; also large C18 12-pane sash window. East end lengthened 1897 and given 3 stepped lancets.

Gabled roof with kneelers and flat coping.

Interior has blocked tower arch with 1 order of columns, scalloped capitals and pronounced chevron mouldings in the pointed arch. This may have been chancel arch of earlier church and has C12 and C13 fragments built into wall which blocks it. C13 chancel arch with octagonal responds. Trefoiled sedilia with slender C13 shafts. C17 octagonal font using upturned C14 capital as base. Mahogany pulpit with tester, 1797. Tablet of 1743 with aedicule and coat of arms to Gawen and Mary Aynsley on chancel north wall. Several good tablets set in chancel floor. Medieval grave cover with foliated cross used as lintel of north lancet.

Archeologia Aeliana: New Series XVI 1894.

Listing NGR: NY9965384420

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
239617
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Archaeologia Aeliana' in Archaeologia Aeliana, , Vol. 14, (1894)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06131/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kenneth Robinson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].