HESLEYSIDE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1044997

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1951

Statutory Address: HESLEYSIDE HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of HESLEYSIDE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044997 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 23:58:56.

Location

Statutory Address: HESLEYSIDE HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bellingham

National Park: NORTHUMBERLAND

National Grid Reference: NY 81628 83738

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 88 SW BELLINGHAM HESLEYSIDE

5/21 Hesleyside Hall 1

GV II*

10/11/51

Country House. 1719, east front by William Newton 1796. Earlier core; and alterations mid Cl9. Ashlar with Lakeland slate roofs. A courtyard house. 3 storeys. South front of 1719, 9 bays with the right 2 added in same style by William Newton. Doorway in central 3 bays was formerly archway to courtyard and has moulded segmental arch with keystone and an outer frame of fluted Tuscan pilasters and cornice. Segment-headed windows, with keystones. Band above 1st floor. Giant pilasters at angles and after 7th bay. Moulded cornice and parapet topped by 4 heraldic beasts. To left, late C18 lower section with first 2 sash windows then blank walling with pilasters, cornice and parapet.

East front 7 bays. Doorway with Ionic pilasters, frieze and cornice. All windows in entablature except top windows which have architraves only. Pediment to window above door. Slightly projecting 3-bay pedimented centre with rusticated quoins. Rusticated quoins at angles also. Plain parapet.

Entrance side has square open porch, brought from west front in mid C19, which has Ionic columns and Adam-style capitals. To left a niche with an urn and a panel above with lion rampant. To right, a 3 bay screen to courtyard has central arch with rusticated surround, and above a 2-stage clock tower. Lower stage has clock and upper open stage, which is probably late C19, has round-arched openings, heavy banded angle pilasters and Italianate pyramidal roof.

East range, extensively altered mid C19, has irregular fenestration including several Venetian windows. Remnants of early C17 loggia arcade with heavily rusticated arches visible in courtyard wall. Hipped roofs with tall stone ridge stacks.

Good interior includes hall which has an imperial staircase with elaborate cast- iron balusters; also an Adam-style plaster ceiling and Ionic columns and pilasters. This work was done by Ignatius Bonomi in 1812. Dining room has stucco and painted decoration of 1847.

Listing NGR: NY8162883738

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 239402

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 31 Northumberland,

End of official listing