WORKSOP PRIORY GATEHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1045028

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1951

Statutory Address: WORKSOP PRIORY GATEHOUSE, CHEAPSIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WORKSOP PRIORY GATEHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045028 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 11:20:00.

Location

Statutory Address: WORKSOP PRIORY GATEHOUSE, CHEAPSIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 58990 78805

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 5878 NE WORKSOP CHEAPSIDE (North side)

8/46 Worksop Priory Gatehouse 27.9.51

G.V. I

Gatehouse. Early C14; restored 1814, 1891, 1909-12, 1959, 1974. Irregularly coursed ashlar and coursed rubble with cross-gabled and lean-to pantile roofs. Ashlar dressings, moulded plinth, first floor band and eaves band with nailhead; coped gables, that to south with cross. 2 storeys, 3 bays, square plan with lean-to wings. Main south front has 4 gabled buttresses, the central pair with single gabled niches. Central entry arch has rebated and roll moulded arch with filleted clustered shaft responds and moulded capitals and hood mould. To left, mullioned window, and to right, attached shrine chapel. Above, central C15 segmental headed sextuple lancet with cusped heads and reticulated tracery, flanked by single gabled crocketted niches containing figures, and beyond, single Tudor arched openings containing shouldered double lancets. Above again, central cusped head niche with crocketted pinnacles containing seated female figure, and above again, 3 light roundel. Shrine chapel, mid C14, single storey, one bay, has chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses, moulded string course, 2 gargoyles and quatrefoil pierced moulded gabled parapet. On each side, single moulded ogee headed doorway (that to east restored) double canopied niches, and above again, cusped headed blank panels. South front has central ogee headed triple lancet with curvilinear tracery and hood mould, and above, 3 relief panels, the central panel with figures. North front has central double chamfered and rebated entry with clustered filleted shaft responds and octagonal bases, flanked by single gabled buttresses, and beyond, similar corner buttresses. To left, restored external stair. To right, single ogee headed lancet. Above, central segmental headed C15 mullioned and transomed window with shouldered heads; to left, pointed arched chamfered doorway, and beyond, small chamfered window; to right, single shouldered light. Above again, single chamfered opening in gable. Passageway, 2 bays, has ceiling with moulded joists and span beams and carved corbels carrying moulded arch braces with turned feet to span beams and wall plates. Inner gateway has double chamfered and rebated archway with chamfered responds flanked to right by smaller doorway. Northern bay has a chamfered and rebated ogee headed door on each side. Central first floor hall has to east, central fireplace with massive moulded lintel and hood, flanked by single pointed arched doorway. Roof has 6 span beams, one with fillet and moulding, and C20 ceiling. West side has 2 similar doorways. Shrine chapel has to north, cusped ogee headed doorway with reeded impost to left and elaborate crocketted gable. To its right, niche with crocketted spired canopy containing C20 figures; to its right, another reeded respond. Lierne vault with carved bosses and 2 mask corbels. Museum, above, contains C14 ogee headed piscina.

Listing NGR: SK5899078805

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 241253

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing