CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1045032

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CLUMBER LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045032 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 16:50:47.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CLUMBER LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw (District Authority)

Parish: Clumber and Hardwick

National Grid Reference: SK 62672 74606

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 67 SW WORKSOP CLUMBER LANE

5/55 Church of St. Mary the 13.2.67 Virgin (Clumber Park)

G.V. I

Estate chapel. 1886-89. By Bodley and Garner for the seventh Duke of Newcastle. Fourteenth Century decorated Revival style. Polychromatic Steetley and Runcorn sandstone ashlar with lead roofs. Chamfered and moulded plinth, gabled buttresses, dentillated sill band, moulded string courses, coped and crenellated parapets, windows and doors with hood moulds, shouldered coped gables with crosses. Gargoyles and carved figures in niches. Nave, chancel, crossing and tower, north transept and baptistry, vestries, north tower, lady chapel, south transept and chapel. 4 bay buttressed nave has 4 double lancets on each side. West door has moulded ogee head with vine motif. Above, triple lancet with intersecting tracery and flanking niches. Higher, buttressed chancel, 4 bays, has 4 double and triple lancets with reticulated tracery. Pinnacled east end has traceried panel and above, 5 light lancet. Corner buttressed crossing tower, 2 stages, has above, paired double lancet bell opening on each side. Above again, 4 crocketted pinnacles linked by flying buttresses to pierced octagonal corona. Above, spire with lucarnes. North transept has, to left, stair turret, to right, extruded corner with doorway and above, double lancet. Vestry has single lancet. 2 stage north tower has paired lancet and above, 3 lancets. Single storey clergy vestry has 2 lancets each side. Buttressed single storey lady chapel has 3 lancets. South transept has moulded doorway, and to left, extruded corner with 2 small lancets. Above, triple lancet with flanking pinnacled niches. Nave has stone benches, blind arcade with moulded arches, sill band, wall passage, clerestorey openings with shafts and stained glass; west window glass by Kempe. Rib vault with clustered filletted responds. Moulded crossing arch. Similar chancel arch has figures in canopied niches and canopied timber screen with wrought iron gates by Bodley. Chancel has 3 bay arcades with traceried stone and wrought iron screens, single doorways, and above, to north, panelled organ tribune. East end has carved marble altar with gradine and tabernacle, and to south, triple sedilia. Windows have stained glass; east window by Kempe. Rib vault with figure carved bosses in 2 eastern bays and clustered shaft responds. Crossing has single bay vault on imposts. North transept has moulded archways, that to north aisle vestry with panelled screen. North side has carved stoup and Classical style monument by Westmacott to Georgiana, Duchess of Newcastle, 1822. Panelled plinth with reclining figure on couch with 2 infants; at rear, pedimented panel with allegorical figure in low relief. Above, window with stained glass. Vault with moulded imposts and gilt bosses. Single bay baptistry has stone benches, 2 lancets with stained glass, figure by Comper, and painted panelled ceiling. North aisle vestry has coffered arched ceiling. Clergy vestry has fitted vestment cupboards, shaft piscina, single stained glass window and coffered painted ceiling. Lady chapel has at west end, moulded archway with wrought iron screen, and to east, altar and panelled reredos with figures, by Bodley. 3 stained glass windows by Kempe. Carved, painted and gilt lierne vault with filletted responds and some marble shafts. South transept has moulded archways, and to north, corbelled niche containing figure by Comper. To south, carved stoup, and above, window with stained glass. South transept chapel has stone benches, 3 stained glass windows, figure by Comper and coffered arched ceiling. Fittings include traceried panelled pulpit, linenfold panelled timber lectern, candelabra and sconces and font with octagonal marble shaft, all by Bodley. Traceried, carved choir stalls and similar clergy stalls with canopies, spires and figures, 1890; similar font enclosure and cover and confessional, suspended oil lamps and rood, and 14 carved timber figures, all by Rev. Ernest Geldart.

Listing NGR: SK6267274607

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 241261

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 33 Nottinghamshire,

End of official listing