Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1045085

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045085 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 18:26:24.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw (District Authority)

Parish: Walkeringham

National Grid Reference: SK 77067 92227


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/104 Church of St. Mary 1.2.67 Magdalene

G.V. I

Parish church, C13, C14, C15, C16, C17, C18, C19 west tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch. Large coursed limestone ashlar, coursed rubble, part rendered, ashlar dressings. Lead roofs. West tower, 2 stages, has moulded plinth, 2 string courses, crenellated parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles; 2 diagonal buttresses, 3 setoffs; plain buttresses to north east and south east, 2 setoffs; single additional buttress to north east, single setoff. West window C14, double coved surround with hood mould, containing restored triple lancet with cusped heads, panel tracery and coved mullions. Above, clock faces to north and west. First stage has 4 C15 bell openings with hood moulds, containing triple lancets with panel tracery. North aisle, 5 bays; diagonal corner buttresses and 4 intermediate buttresses, 2 setoffs. Moulded plinth, string course, crenellated parapet. To west, C15 4 centred arched head doorway; to east, 4 deep square headed splayed reveals with hood moulds, each containing round headed C16 triple lancets with chamfered mullions. East end window identical. Nave clerestorey, 3 bays, has moulded string course, moulded crenellated parapet and gable. On north side 3 and on south side 4 square headed chamfered and rebated reveals each containing C16 round headed triple lancets. Chancel, 2 bays, has moulded plinth and eaves, coped gable with cross, single buttresses on eastern corners, 2 setoffs. East end has single chamfered and coved opening with coved hood mould, containing C15 quadruple lancet with panel tracery. South side has off centre 4 centred arched priest's door with hood mould, flanked by single square headed coved reveals containing C15 triple plain lancets with splayed mullions. South aisle, 3 bays, has moulded plinth, string course and crenellated parapets. Pair of set-back buttresses to south east, single diagonal buttress to south west, 2 intermediate buttresses, all 2 setoffs. To east, 2 square headed coved and rebated surrounds containing C15 plain triple lancets with coved mullions; east window similar. South porch, C19 in C13 style, chamfered and rebated doorway with octagonal responds, bases and capitals. Above, shouldered coped gable with cross. Principal rafter roof with moulded ridge. South doorway, C15, cove and roll moulded doorway with C19 close boarded door. Nave, north and south arcades, C13, 3 bays, octagonal piers on broached square bases, octagonal capitals, with nailhead to north only. Moulded imposts. Plain double chamfered and rebated arches. Clerestorey has splayed square headed openings. Kingpost roof, C15, principal timbers moulded, one tie beam inscribed '1713.' Tower arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated, crenellated imposts. Fittings include tapered octagonal font on square base, inscribed 'R C B W 1663'; oak pulpit, late C17; 3 C17 oak pews, the remainder C19 replicas; Decorated timber screen to tower arch, c.1906; C19 stained glass in west window. North aisle, rendered; re-set mask corbel in west end, and plain window opening. To west blocked window, to east, Tudor arched opening to north door. To east again, 2 C15 Tudor arched windows. Roof, C19. Moulded oak pews C19. South aisle, rendered; east window has C20 stained glass. To south, 2 splayed windows; beyond to west, south door. Roof, C15, moulded principal rafters with curved brackets. Benefaction board and C19 moulded pews. Chancel arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated with octagonal imposts. Cut-down remains of C15 screen, 5 panels, linked to pulpit. Chancel north arcade, C13, 2 bays, single round pier with moulded octagonal base and roll moulded capital. Double chamfered and rebated arches with canted moulded impost to west and keeled respond to east. Chancel north chapel, rendered. To north 2 splayed square headed windows and similar east window. Roof C15, principal timbers moulded, east bay diagonal matchboard. C15 timber screen, 6 bays with panel tracery, arranged to form vestry. To north, slate and alabaster monument to Francis Williamson, d.1639, by Edward Marshall. Panelled rectangular base; above, 3 kneeling figures; above again, aedicule with Doric columns carrying hood with cartouche containing arms; 2 facing kneeling figures. Chancel east wall has to north rectangular double aumbry with rebated surround; fragments of C19 glass in east window. South wall has to east small piscina in chamfered surround. Central square headed splayed doorway flanked by single splayed square headed windows. Kingpost roof, C15, roll moulded principal timbers, with carved bosses and pendants.

Listing NGR: SK7706792229


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 241187

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing