CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1045233
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045233 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 17:52:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Haltwhistle
National Grid Reference:
NY 70755 64030

Details

HALTWHISTLE MARKET PLACE NY 7064 (South side, off) 20/20 Church of the 24/11/67 Holy Cross GV I

Parish church. Early C13; restored 1870 by R.J. Johnson (nave west end and bellcote rebuilt; lancets inserted in aisles; roof pitches heightened; interior redecorated). Coursed and random rubble; green slate roofs. Wide aisled nave (almost square plan) with vestry on north aisle; chancel. Early- English style.

4-bay nave. Buttressed aisles have small lancets and steep pent roofs. Partly-restored pointed north and south aisle doorways with colonnettes. 3 original lancets on both sides of clerestory. Steep nave roof. Rebuilt, buttressed west end has 2 tall lancets with round window above. Rebuilt gabled bellcote with twin openings. Lower 4-bay chancel with lancet windows. Blocked 2-light, mullioned low-side window on chancel south wall. East end has clasping buttresses with offsets and group of 3 stepped lancets above sill string. Steep chancel roof. Gabled 2-bay vestry.

Interior. Nave: arcades have pointed double-chamfered arches, under hoodmoulds, on filleted responds and circular piers with moulded bases and irregular octagonal capitals; head-stop over south-east pier; clerestory windows, with splayed rear arches, set above spandrels of arcade; 1870 arch- braced, king-post roof. Small trefoil-headed piscina near east end of south aisle. Chancel: double-chamfered, pointed arch under hoodmould with head- stops (inner order on filleted responds); semi-octagonal rood-screen corbels flanking arch; 3 east end lancets have trefoil-headed rear arches and colonnettes with shaft rings; restored sedilia has 3 stepped-up seats under trefoil-headed arches on filleted shafts; small piscina in trefoil-headed niche; roof, similar to nave, possible painted 1881 to desgin by C.E. Kempe. Fittings, monuments and stained glass. In nave: hexagonal stone font probably re-cut with crude inscribed decoration and letters: R.P. July 26 1676; roughly-carved circular stoup on column; 4 north aisle windows 1897 by Morris and Co.; north aisle east window 1891 by C.E. Kempe. In chancel: Rood screen 1923 by Hicks and Charlewood; 3 elaborate medieval grave slabs and recumbent effigy of knight (possibly Thomas De Blenkinsopp died 1388) in sanctuary; 1869 carved marble reredos depicting Nativity of Christ; Memorial stone to John Ridley died1632 and aedicular wall monument to Wm. Gibson died 1785, both on south wall; 3 east lancets with 1871 glass by William Morris; windows depicting 4 Evangelists and 4 Latin Fathers, 1900-04 by C.E. Kempe.

(R.G. Barrett and Canon L. Watson, Church of the Holy Cross, Haltwhistle Seven Centuries of Worship, 1980) a Church guidebook.

Listing NGR: NY7075164029

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
240754
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Barrett, , Watson, , Church of the Holy Cross Haltwhistle Seven Centuries of Worship, (1980)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/09874/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr. W. J. Hocking. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].