CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1045326
Date first listed:
18-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045326.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2020 at 03:25:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hexhamshire
National Grid Reference:
NY 92803 57727

Details

HEX-HIRE WHITLEY CHAPEL NY 95 NW

8/202 Church of St. Helen

II

Parish church on medieval site, 1742 with some C19 alterations. Rubble with tooled dressings; slate roof. Simple rectagular plan with C19 vestry built onto west end. South wall 5 bays; flush-panelled door with plain fanlight, in chamfered round-headed arch with moulded impost and raised keystone in bay 2; windows of 2 lights with basket-arched heads. Coped gables with moulded kneelers. To left, lower vestry with boarded door, in possibly re-set block surround, and coped gable with corniced end stack. West end has 2 single- light windows with basket arches, that to right re-set in projecting vestry. Bellcote with cornice carried up over round-arched opening; North wall has 3 C19 windows each of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights. East end has re-set medieval window of 3 stepped lancets under chamfered pointed arch, and C19 foliate gable cross.

Interior. C18 font with moulded circular bowl and shaft. Pater board with pointed head, dated 1858; similar but undated creed and commandments boards.

Listing NGR: NY9280357727

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
240572
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Nov 2000
Reference: IOE01/03303/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].