WELLINGTON INN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1045389
Date first listed:
18-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
WELLINGTON INN, A 695

Map

Ordnance survey map of WELLINGTON INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045389 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 07:22:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
WELLINGTON INN, A 695

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Broomhaugh and Riding
National Grid Reference:
NZ 01830 61460

Details

BROOMHAUGH AND RIDING A 695 Riding Mill NZ 0161 (North side) 22/51 Wellington Inn

II

Inn, formerly house, dated 1660 with initials T.B. on lintel. Altered late C18 and extended to east c.1812. Stone, mostly rendered, with raised quoins and dressings; slate roof. 3 storeys, 4 bays. Earlier 3-bay part to left has right-of-centre panelled double doors in hollow-chamfered surround; dated lintel with arms of Errington impaling Carnaby, hollow-chamfered hoodmoulds. Flanking C20 casements in old openings with similar hoodmoulds. Upper floors have 12-pane sashes with raised lintels and sills. Right (east) bay has margined sash with blocked door to left; similar window above and paired 8-pane sashes to 2nd floor, all windows in raised and tooled surrounds. Coped gables, stepped and corniced left end and ridge stacks. 4-step mounting block to left of door. C20 single-storey extension to far right, not of interest. 2-storey outshut to rear, altered fenestration. Interior much altered. 2 C17 fireplaces on 1st floor; flat-pointed arches in square frames, wave-moulded surrounds. Built as The Riding House by Thomas Errington, postmaster of Newcastle under the Commonwealth (initials on door lintel recut by Thomas Browell, a later tenant). In 1673 the scene of alleged witches' gatherings.

Listing NGR: NZ0183061460

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
240418
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12988/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].