CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1045438

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045438 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 17:09:11.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Plenmeller with Whitfield

National Grid Reference: NY 77818 58410

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 75 NE PLENMELLER WITH WHITFIELD WHITFIELD, ST. JOHNS

8/209 Church of St. John

24.11.67 II GV

Former parish church c.1790, reduced in size 1859, refenestrated late Cl9. Squared stone, rubble on north; tooled and margined quoins, stone dressings. Grey slate roof. Single-bay nave and slightly narrower single-bay chancel. West end has hinged doors in re-set late C18 pointed arch with tooled stone surround, flanked by stubs of former nave. Bellcote with pointed-arched opening on gable. South wall of nave has 3-light window with simple panel tracery under 4-centred arch with hoodmould; similar 2-light window on south side of chancel. East end has 3-light window in C14 style. North wall completely plain.

Interior: late C18 pointed chancel arch of plain square section with impost blocks. Chancel has Cl9 boarded ceiling with pierced and cusped arch braces springing from wall shafts. Panelled dado in nave. Late C18 baluster font. On north side of sanctuary lower part of elaborate coped C12 grave cover with lombardic inscription on ridge flanked by overlapping tiers of acanthus leaves cut in high relief. 4 early Cl9 wall tablets.

The church of c.1790, which replaced a medieval building, originally had a 4-bay nave and a west tower. The stone of the demolished section was re-used in Holy Trinity Church (q.v.).

Listing NGR: NY7781858410

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 240326

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing