HILL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1045464

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1961

Statutory Address: HILL HOUSE, BURGAGE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045464 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 08:46:13.

Location

Statutory Address: HILL HOUSE, BURGAGE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)

Parish: Southwell

National Grid Reference: SK 70458 53970

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHWELL

BURGAGE LANE SK7054 1919-0/11/19 (South side) 11/08/61 Hill House

GV II

House, now a school boarding house. Dated 1800 on rainwater head, with mid C19 and late C19 additions. Built for the Rev. J T Becher. Brick with stone dressings and hipped slate roofs. Plinth, first floor and sill bands, dentilled eaves. 5 ridge stacks. 3 storeys. Main east front has a projecting pedimented centre and a range of 5 glazing bar sashes. Above, 5 similar smaller sashes. All these have multi-keystoned heads. Below, to left, a canted parapeted bay window dated 1857 on rainwater head, with 3 plain sashes. To right, 3 plain sashes with multi-keystoned heads. Northern entrance front has to left a projecting wing with 3 windows, the 2 to left being blank. Above, similar fenestration with smaller windows. On the ground floor, 2 blanks to the left and 2 glazing bar sashes to the right. To the right, a 3-bay range of glazing bar sashes, and above, 3 smaller sashes. Below, to left, a flat roofed porch with Tuscan columns and entablature, covering a mid C19 half-glazed door with flanking lights and overlight. To the right, a tripartite and a single sash. To right again, a set back 2-storey service wing, pebbledashed. 2 plain sashes and below, a panelled door with overlight, and to right, a glazing bar sash. All windows to this front have keystoned lintels. South side has 2 hipped blocks each of 3 windows. To the right, a mid C19 parapeted single storey addition with an angled corner and 3 plain sashes. To its right, a late C19 hipped loggia with 2 stone columns. Interior has a central stairwell with a cantilever stone staircase, the top flight wood, with moulded string, stick balusters and ramped and scrolled handrail. C19 glazed toplight. Panelled and moulded round headed openings on the north side. Dining room, to left of east front, has moulded wall panels and cornice and Classical wooden fireplace with fluted piers. John Thomas Becher was prebendary of South Muskham, 1819-1848, and was a prominent worker in Poor Law reform.

Listing NGR: SK7045853970

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 242309

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing