EPPERSTONE MANOR AND ATTACHED AND ADJACENT WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1045544

Date first listed: 13-May-1986

Statutory Address: EPPERSTONE MANOR AND ATTACHED AND ADJACENT WALLS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of EPPERSTONE MANOR AND ATTACHED AND ADJACENT WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045544 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 08:57:33.

Location

Statutory Address: EPPERSTONE MANOR AND ATTACHED AND ADJACENT WALLS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)

Parish: Epperstone

National Grid Reference: SK 64982 48511

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 64 NW EPPERSTONE MAIN STREET (south side) 8/42 Epperstone Manor and attached and adjacent walls G.V. II

House and attached and adjacent walls now Nottinghamshire Constabulary Police Training School. Mid C18, 1866, 1876, and 1893. Render with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof. 7 ashlar stacks. Ashlar coped gables with kneelers and single ridge ashlar orb finials. Moulded ashlar eaves band broken by the gables. Chamfered ashlar plinth. First floor and first floor sill bands. 2 storeys, garden front of 9 bays. Dated rainwater heads the right 5 bays being 1876, the single left bay 1893, and the remaining 3 bays 1866. Single central and outer bays project and are gabled. Single central bay, canted on the ground floor has a single glazing bar quadripartite cross casement flanked by single similar single light casements. To the right is a single similar casement a 4 centred arched doorway with glazed and panelled door and overlight and further right a single similar casement. On the far right the single projecting bay is canted as the central bay. To the left off centre is a single tripartite cross casement, a similar doorway and door and further left a single similar tripartite casement. On the far left is a single storey projecting ashlar bay with parapet decorated with open arches this bay has a single 5-light cross casement. Above, single central quadripartite cross casement with ashlar dripmould flanked by 2 gabled half dormers each with single tripartite cross casement and ashlar dripmould. On the far right is a single quadripartite cross casement with ashlar dripmould and on the far left a single 5-light cross casement with flush ashlar quoin surround and dripmould. Extending in front for about 45 metres is an area paved with ashlar and an ashlar balustraded wall broken twice by single flights of steps. To the rear left is a 2 storey 2 bay wing in front extends a rendered wall with ashlar coping and 4-centred arched doorway with C19 plank door. Further left is a red brick and hipped plain tile tower with ashlar eaves band. 3 storeys, single bay. First and 2nd floor ashlar bands. Ground floor has 2 casements set at different levels and the top floor has a single 2-light casement with ashlar dripmould, all with ashlar sills and lintels. Entrance front of 3 gabled bays, the right 2 being C18 and set back on a lower plinth. Ashlar porch on moulded plinth with 4-centred arched moulded doorway with a double C19 door, decorative spandrels and Tudor style hoodmould. The parapet decorated with lozenge. Inner similarly arched doorway with panelled and part glazed door. To the right is a single glazing bar cross casement and to the left a single tripartite glazing bar cross casement. The single bay to the left has a single external stack flanked on both floors by single single-light casements, those above being smaller. Above right are 2 glazing bar cross casements. All casements have lead glazing bars. Attached to the rear of the house and extending for about 47 metres is a stepped ashlar wall with shaped coping. The wall rises even higher when it meets a single storey projection from the house. There is a single 4- centred arched domestic gateway with plank door. The wall terminates at the right in a large gateway with plank double gate. Interior. Panelled entrance hall with Ionic pilasters, some of the panelling being C17 with ashlar fireplace and decoratively carved C17 overmantel. Staircase hall with C19 panelling with some decorative strapwok to doorways. Open well staircase with turned balusters and carved tread ends. Large rectangular light over. Suite of rooms off with decorative plaster ceilings and cornices and decorative doorcases and fireplaces. 1st floor has some panelled rooms. Some rooms with decorative plaster work, cornices, fireplaces and doorcases.

Listing NGR: SK6498248511

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 242098

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing