This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HOVERINGHAM MILL AND MILL FARM HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOVERINGHAM MILL AND MILL FARM HOUSE

List entry Number: 1045558

Location

HOVERINGHAM MILL AND MILL FARM HOUSE, HOVERINGHAM MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hoveringham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 242025

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOVERINGHAM HOVERINGHAM MILL SK 64 NE LANE (north side)

4/73 Hoveringham Mill and Mill Farm 24.8.76 House II Water, corn mill and house over Dover Beck. Dated 1778 and 1846. Red brick. Pantile roofs. 3 storeys plus garret, 3 bay mill, to the right and slightly set back is a single storey, 2 bay wing and further right the 2 storey, 2 bay house. Projecting from and extending the house is a 2 storey, 3 bay 1846 range. Mill with single red brick stack to the rear left and dentil eaves. Single central fixed light under a segmental arch. To the left is a doorway with double plank door under a segmental arch. Above right is a single glazing bar fixed light with a single fixed light under a segmental arch to the left and further left a later opening with plank door and concrete sill. In the left gable is an ashlar plaque inscribed "BCF 1778". Attached to the left is an open lean-to and further left a smaller open lean-to. To the right is the single storey, 2 bay wing which houses the water wheel. Raised brick eaves to the left. Doorway with plank door opening to the area with the wheel. To the right is an entrance with C20 iron gate. To the right is the C18 house with left gable red brick C20 stack and dentil eaves. Single glazing bar sash under a segmental arch and to the right a single blocked opening under a segmental arch. Above is a single glazing bar sash with a single small sash to the right. Projecting from the right is the C19 extension with 2 C20 red brick gable stacks, dogtooth eaves and blue brick band at base. Central doorway, 2 steps up, with panelled door, glazing bar overlight and hood supported on 2 brackets. Either side are single glazing bar sashes under segmental arches. Above are 3 glazing bar sashes. In the left gable is an ashlar plaque inscribed "R F 1846". To the rear of the mill are later C19 2 and single storey extensions and to the rear of the house are single storey wings and outbuildings. Extending over the mill race and in front of the right 2 bays of the mill and the single storey wing for 10 metres is a red brick wall with brick coping, terminating at the north side in a small pier with shaped ashlar coping and at the south end in shaped ashlar coping. The wall curves to accommodate the 2 segmental arches which are divided by a single brick pier. Projecting from either side of the arches is a single coursed rubble wall. Interior of mill contains all original machinery and some equipment including 3 pairs of stones, gearing, wooden water wheel of 11 feet diameter, pit wheel, great spur wheel, face gear wheel, hoppers, hoist and vats. Patmore, F. W., Fincher, R., Summers, N. Hoveringham Water Mill. Transactions of the Thoroton Society, 1966. Vol.70.

Listing NGR: SK6846846597

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire' in Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire, , Vol. 70, (1966)
'Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire' in Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire, , Vol. 70, (1966)

National Grid Reference: SK 68468 46597

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045558 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2018 at 04:09:30.

End of official listing