Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045578.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 01:44:34.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
East Stoke
National Grid Reference:
SK 74794 50061


EAST STOKE SCHOOL LANE SK 75 SW (east side) 2/16 Church of St. Oswald 16.1.67 G.V. II* Parish church. C13, C14, largely rebuilt 1738, clerestory rainwater heads dated 1757, chancel restored 1873. Ashlar, dressed coursed rubble and red brick. Concrete pantile roofs. Parapets to south and east nave and south aisle. Single ashlar stack to south east nave. Single decorative ridge cross to east chancel. Tower, nave, south aisle, south porch, north vestry, chancel and north chancel porch. Low buttressed C13 tower,set on a chamfered plinth to the west and a lower plinth to the north, of 2 storeys with band and C19 embattlements with 4 decorative pinnacles. West wall has a single C14 window with 3 ogee arched and cusped lights and mouchettes under a flat arch with flush ashlar quoin surround. The south wall has a single blocked opening above the band. The west, south and east bell chamber openings each have 2 arched lights under a flat arch, with remains of cusping to the west and east. The north has a single pointed arched opening with 2 pointed arched lights. There are single blocked stair lights to the north and south. The buttressed north nave is set on a plinth and has a round arched and blocked doorway. To the left are 2 C18 round arched windows each with keystone and impost blocks. The red brick and slate C19 vestry is set on a rendered plinth and has in the west wall a 2 light window with single ashlar mullion under a flat arch and with hood mould and label stops. The chancel is set on a rubble plinth and there is a sill band broken by the porch on the north side. The shallow gabled and coped C19 porch with kneelers and remains of a single ridge cross is set on a plinth and has a chamfered arched doorway. The buttressed east end has a single restored C14 arched 4 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The buttressed south chancel has a cellar opening with metal grille. To the left are 2 C19 3 light windows with cusped tracery under flat arches. Between the windows are steps leading down to the cellar. The east wall of the south aisle has a sill band. The south aisle with raised quoins has 3 C18 round arched windows with keystones extending to the top of the parapet and impost blocks. The sill band under extends to the gabled and coped porch with remains of a single ridge cross and raised quoins. There is a round moulded arched entrance with decorative keystone extending to the ridge, impost blocks and decorative double iron gates. The inner round arched doorway has impost bands and C17 6 fielded panel round arched door. The clerestory has 4 C18 windows each with 2 lights and single ashlar mullion under a flat arch. Interior. bay C18 nave arcade with Tuscan columns and responds,the arches with keystones. Double chamfered C13 tower arch the inner chamfer supported on colonnettes with capitals decorated with nailhead, the outer chamfer supported on slim engaged shafts with nailhead imposts. C19 double chamfered tower arch supported on responds with foliate decorated capitals, over is a hood mould and human head label stops. Flanking the arch are single quatrefoils in round panels. South chancel has an ogee arched piscina. North porch doorway has a hood mould and decorative label stops, there is an arched doorway to the north vestry. C19 circular font with decorative bowl. The furniture is C19 apart from a small metal C15 chest. Monuments include in the south chancel a brass plaque mounted onto a decorative marble surround to James Banks, 1729, and a further metal plaque to Elizabeth Wightman, 1696. The north chancel has a monument to Lady Bromley, 1839, by Nicholson and Wood. In the south aisle is a monument to Sir George Smith, 1769, the apron being decorated with a shield and the crown with an urn, that to George Wakefield, 1816 by Jackson has a shield on the apron. To George Wakefield, 1839, by Tathams, this is decorated with a shield on the apron and decorative scrolls on the crown and to Revd. Wakefield, 1798, by Wallis, this has a shield on the apron and an urn on the crown. The west window of the south chancel has some C15 stained glass.

Listing NGR: SK7479450061


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12424/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gerard Sheridan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].