CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1045600

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES, NEWARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045600 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 19:32:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES, NEWARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)

Parish: Ollerton and Boughton

National Grid Reference: SK 65389 67356

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OLLERTON NEWARK ROAD SK 66 NE (north side) 3/66 Church of St. Giles 11.8.61

G.V. II

Parish church. c.1780. Gothick style. Irregularly coursed ashlar and brick, rendered. Plain tile and gabled and lean-to slate roofs, low pitch. Ashlar dressings, single capped gable stack. West tower, nave and chancel under continuous roof, C19 vestry and adjoining store, south porch. West tower, 3 stages, has chamfered plinth, 2 string courses, crenellated parapet with 4 crocketed pinnacles, and wind vane. First stage has to north, doorway with lancet-panelled door. Second stage has to south and west, clock, and to north, double lancet. Third stage has 4 double lancet louvred openings. Nave, 4 bays, has 4 triple lancets on each side. North side has to east, lean-to store with cross window to west and door to east. Single bay lean-to vestry has single mullioned window to east. Single bay chancel has to east, triple lancet. Gabled south porch has moulded pointed doorway. Interior has wooden benches, arched plaster ceiling and chamfered pointed doorway with diagonal boarded doors. Aisleless nave has elliptical window heads and intermediate ogee headed panels. Moulded cornice and coved plaster ceiling with C19 brass chandelier. South-east window has stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1875. Half round tower arch has moulded arris. C13 style panelled screen, 1901. Tower chamber has rounded stair enclosure with curved boarded door. Half round chancel arch has panelled intrados. Chancel has half height fielded panelling and moulded cornice. East window has stained glass by C. G. S. Foljambe, 1871. Fittings include roll moulded panelled benches, mid C19 cast iron desks and lectern, late C19 panelled octagonal pulpit and round polished granite font with grouped shafts. C17 oak plank parish chest with 3 locks. C18 chair with turned legs and cutout carved back. Monuments include re-sited headstone to Col. Thomas Markham, 1643. Hatchment, late C18. Classical marble tablet, 1825. 8 C20 brasses. War memorial brass, 1919.

Listing NGR: SK6538967356

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 241916

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27496

End of official listing