CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1045615

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1965

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jun-1989

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, SUTTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045615 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 20:11:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, SUTTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Rushcliffe (District Authority)

Parish: Elton-on-the-Hill

National Grid Reference: SK 76731 38802

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ELTON SUTTON LANE SK73NE (east side) 3/41 Church of St Michael and All Angels 1.12.65 (formerly listed under Sutton Road) GV II Small church. C12 in origin but heavily restored 1855-7. Incised rendering to resemble ashlar. Ashlar plinth. Slate chancel roof. West tower, 3-bay nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel. The 3-stage tower, rebuilt 1855-7, has clasping buttresses and the stages are marked by bands. Paired lancets for west window. Lancet bell-chamber openings, paired on west side. Embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. Rainwater head of 1856. Embattled nave with square porch, possibly C19, on south side and two broad round arched windows with hood moulds. Chancel door with segmental head. 2-light east window with geometrical tracery. On the north side of the nave is a small ogee-headed light and two, larger, 2-light windows with geometrical tracery. Several lead rainwater heads dated 1857. Interior: plain, with remains of the south arcade of 3 bays. Round, double-chamfered arches on round piers with moulded capitals one with nailhead decoration visible. Heavy C17 communion rail with turned balusters, large top and bottom rails and 2 large ball and stalk finials. Mid C19 wall memorials to Norton family of Elton Manor and one of 1822 to Francis Launder, by Joseph Hall the younger of Derby.

Listing NGR: SK7673138802

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 241849

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing