CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH HILL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045616.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 03:30:49.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH HILL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 65454 60255
BILSTHORPE CHURCH HILL
SK 66 SE
7/1 Church of
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16, 1663, restored 1873 by T. C. Hine. Squared dressed stone, snecked stone, ashlar dressings. Plain tile and C20 slab tile roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, vestry, south transept, south porch. West tower, C14 and 1663, 2 stages, has chamfered plinth, string course, crenellated parapet, 2 obelisk pinnacles to west. 2 diagonal buttresses, 3 setoffs. First stage has to west late C14 cusped triple lancet in coved four centred arched reveal with hood mould and stops. Above, remains of clock. Second stage has 4 double round headed openings, 1663, and to south, tablet inscribed '...Chwardens 1663'. Chancel, C15 and C18, restored, 2 unequal bays, has to north a C18 buttress to east and a C15 buttress to south, 2 setoffs. Central C15 cusped double lancet with four centred arched head and hood mould. To west, blocked door, C14, with hood mould. To south, a buttress to east, single setoff. Vestry has chamfered plinth and coved eaves, 2 coped gables. East and west sides have each a chamfered single lancet with hood mould and mask stops. North side has a shouldered C19 door. Chancel, late C14 and C16, 2 bays, has plinth to east and remains of cross on west gable. North side has to west late C14 double cusped ogee lancet with chamfered square headed reveal. East end has a C19 Perpendicular style triple lancet with panel tracery and four centred arched reveal with hood mould. South side, 2 builds, has off-centre buttress, 3 setoffs. To east, late C14 double cusped ogee lancet with square headed reveal, partly restored. To west, larger C16 double ogee lancet with Decorated tracery, square headed reveal and hood mould. South transept, 1873, single bay, has moulded and chamfered plinth and parapet, single spouts to east and west, cross on south gable. To south, Perpendicular style cusped triple lancet with four centred arched reveal and hood mould. South porch, C15, restored, has chamfered plinth, coped gable with kneelers and remains of cross. Chamfered C19 doorway with moulded head and hood mould with stops. Common rafter roof, C19. South doorway, C14, coved and moulded with hood mould with square stops and rosettes. Aisleless nave has to south elliptical moulded arch with hood mould. To north, stained glass window, 1938. Restored C15 tie beam roof with chamfered timbers and corbels. Tower arch, C19 in C14 style, double chamfered and rebated with moulded square imposts, containing 3- bay C20 oak screen with traceried top and cresting with cross. Tower chamber has west window with stained glass by Kempe, 1880. South transept (Savile chapel) has south window with Arms in stained glass and low pitched principal rafter roof with moulded timbers and curved braces carried in timber angel corbels. Chancel arch, restored, C13 style, double chamfered and rebated, with half-round responds with moulded and foliate capitals. North side has C19 four centred arched openings with shafts and hood mould. East end has elaborate C19 carved and painted timber reredos with traceried panels and cresting. East window has stained glass, 1878. South side has to east, C15 pillar piscina and C13 chamfered piscina. C19 king post roof with moulded tie beams, cusped struts, shafts and traceried spandrels. Vestry has C19 lean-to roof. Fittings include C12 cylindrical font with older base and plain cover, pulpit partly C17, octagonal, oak, with linenfold panels and rosettes. Timber lectern c.1946. C19 roll top oak benches and C20 chairs. 3 C19 and single C20 chamfered choir stalls. Memorials include marble and slate wall tablet, 1649, with square tablet in moulded surround with shaped apron and 2 flanking Corinthian columns on incised brackets, carrying forward-breaking entablature with semi- circular pediment carrying 3 heads, 2 winged. Tympanum contains book and wreath. To William Chappell, Bishop of Cork and Ross. Marble tablet, 1834, marble and slate tablets, 1839, Charity Board, 1849 and 1857, square slate tablet with oval marble cartouche, 1859. Large marble wall monument, 1887, with inscribed brass and moulded ring, formerly containing wreath, flanked by ringed shafts carrying entablature with moulded crest and recess containing owl. Remains of inscribed foliated cross slab in cabinet. Roll of honour, list of rectors, war memorial brasses, 1920 and 1945. Brass C20.
Listing NGR: SK6545460256
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27490
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27489
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing