CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1045621

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045621 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 21:18:10.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)

Parish: Ollerton and Boughton

National Grid Reference: SK 67855 68522

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOUGHTON CHURCH ROAD SK 66 NE (north side) 3/9 Church of 2.6,77 St. Matthew

G.V. II

Parish church. 1868. By J. Fowler of Louth in C13 Gothic Revival style. Snecked ashlar and brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roof. Chamfered and partly rendered plinth, sill band, coped gables with crosses. Single ornate round stone gable stack. Windows are mainly double Geometrical lancets with hood moulds and stops. South west tower, nave, chancel, vestry, south porch. Buttressed tower, 2 stages, has string course and billeted eaves, and broach spire with 4 tiers of lucarnes. To south, a chamfered light, and above, clock. To west, 2 chamfered lights. Second stage has 4 double lancet bell openings with Geometrical tracery. Buttressed nave, 4 bays, has on each side 3 double lancets. West end has 2 chamfered lancets and above, round quatrefoil window. Chancel, 2 bays, has pair of corner buttresses to south east and to east, stepped sill band. East end has large triple lancet. South side has 2 double lancets and to west, single buttress. Vestry, 2 bays, has decorative kneelers. North side has to east, shouldered doorway with hood mould, and to west, double lancet in square headed reveal. East end has double lancet with, above, a round light. South porch, engaged with tower and nave, has 2 corner buttresses and coped gable with kneeler and remains of cross. South doorway has chamfered opening with hood mould and stops. Interior has to left, door to tower. South door has roll moulded reveal and hood mould. Brick interior has cogged and blue brick sill band and ashlar and blue brick window heads and bands. Billeted brick wall plate. Aisleless nave has timber screen at west end and scissor braced principal rafter roof with ashlar pieces. West windows have stained glass, C19. Chamfered polychrome brick chancel arch has keeled roll moulded ashlar intrados, incised small imposts and responds with conical moulded brackets, dogtooth bands, marble shafts, square foliate capitals and impost band with stops. Chancel north side has to west, organ recess and to east, chamfered piscina with four centred arched head and hood mould with stops. East end has gradine with 4 trefoil headed moulded openings and trefoil headed crocketed tabernacle with flanking marble shafts. East window has stained glass, 1869. South side has to east, single sedilia with scrolled stops. Vestry/organ chamber has no architectural features. Fittings include octagonal font with recessed ogee headed panels and painted text, on moulded octagonal stem with water holding base and square plinth with scallop corners. Octagonal ashlar pulpit with crocketed trefoil headed recessed panels with marble flanking shafts and hood moulds. Desk-type timber lectern with traceried openings, on bracketed square chamfered stem. Chamfered panelled benches, moulded and pierced stalls and desk, C17 chip carved panelled chest with legs. Memorials include chamfered recess containing brass to W. J. Pickin, 1869, marble and slate war memorial tablet, 1918, and various brasses, C19 and C20.

Listing NGR: SK6785568522

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 241860

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27091

End of official listing