Church of St. Mary and All Saints
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- Church of St. Mary and All Saints, Church Street
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045660.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:45:44.
- Statutory Address:
- Church of St. Mary and All Saints, Church Street
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Rushcliffe (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 70744 39948
Church of St. Mary and All Saints.
(Formerly listed as Church of All Saints)
1.12.65 GV I Parish church. 1225, C14, C15, C16, 1729. Nave and chancel restored by G.G. Scott, 1845. Porch restored, clerestorey added and nave re-roofed 1873. Further restored by W.D. Caröe, 1912. Coursed and squared rubble. Ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle, north transept, south transept, south porch, baptistry. West tower, two stages, has moulded plinth, string course and corbel table with ballflower and masks. Four gargoyles. Low parapet with two figures and two pinnacles. Shallow clasp buttresses and four pairs of corner buttresses, five setoffs. South, west and north sides have each a small gabled buttress. Setback octagonal spire has three tiers of four lucarnes, each with double lancet with quatrefoil head. Above, weathercock and finial. First stage has to south two stair lights and C13 lancet. To west, to left, doorway with segmental head containing C18 plank door with lintel inscribed 'J B R T 1729'. Central buttress contains C19 lancet. To north, single lancet. Second stage has on each side two double lancets, early C14, with shafts and Y tracery, hood moulds and stops. Above each, clock.
Nave clerestorey, 1873, has eaves with ballflower, and coped east gable. On each side, three quatrefoil openings. North aisle, three bays, has to west, pair of corner buttresses and to north, two buttresses, all two setoffs. North side has central pointed doorway, restored C19, flanked by single restored lancets, C19, all with hood moulds and stops. North transept, c.1400, has coped gable with kneelers. Two pairs corner buttresses, two setoffs. North gable has Decorated style C19 quadruple lancet with hood mould and mask stops. East side has partly obliterated C15 quadruple lancet with four centred arched head and panel tracery. Adjoining organ chamber, late C19, has slate lean-to roof and coped gables. To east, a double lancet.
Chancel, three bays, has moulded plinth, sill band, chamfered eaves and coped gable with cross. North side has central buttress flanked by single restored C14 lancets with Decorated tracery, hood moulds and mask stops. East end has two pairs of corner buttresses, two setoffs plus plinths, and C15 quadruple lancet with four centred arched heads and cusped panel tracery. South side has two buttresses and three windows similar to north side. To left, recessed moulded doorway with hood mould and mask stops containing restored C18 Gothick door. South transept has pair of corner buttresses to south and single buttress to east. Coped gable with kneelers. East side has two C19 Decorated style lancets. South side has restored C14 quadruple lancet with transom and intersecting tracery and hood mould. To left, remains of corner buttress. Adjoining vestry has buttress to left, and coped gable. South gable has four rectangular blocked openings at ground level, with chamfered reveals. Above, C19 Decorated style triple lancet with ogee heads and flowing tracery, hood mould and mask stops.
South porch has pair of corner buttresses, two setoffs, coped gable with kneelers and cross. Restored C14 south doorway with multiple cove and roll mouldings, and responds with moulded capitals and bases. Lean-to baptistry has single coped gable with kneeler. To south west, pair of corner buttresses. South side has a C19 Decorated style double lancet with hood mould and mask stops. Porch has C19 purlin roof and to north, C14 triple sedilia with chamfered trefoil heads and bench with quatrefoil panels. Above, two pentagonal openings with naturalistic tracery. To left, C19 doorway. Inner doorway, chamfered and cove moulded has hood mould and inserted C18 panelling and door. Above, large foliate corbel.
Nave north and south arcades, early C14, five bays, have each four octagonal piers with matching responds. Moulded octagonal bases, some water holding. Naturalistic foliate corbels, two crocketed, one with grotesque masks. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds and mask stops. Principal rafter roof, 1873, with arch braces, wall shafts and foliate corbels. North aisle has C19 lean-to roof and two windows with C19 stained glass heads.
Baptistry has similar roof and a similar window. Panelled dado 1928 and traceried oak screens 1933. Tower chamber has to west, stained glass window, C19. North transept has stained glass window by A.R. Mowbray, 1848 and to its right, late C14 aumbry with trefoil head and moulded surround. Principal rafter roof similar to nave. South transept has similar roof. To east, stained glass window by Kempe, 1888, and another by Frank Miles, 1883. South end has to left, restored C14 piscina and central square recess. Above, window with C19 patterned stained glass. West side has blocked pointed opening. Vestry has restored C15 roof with arch braces with nailhead and octagonal wall shafts and corbels. East side has tomb recess with four centred arched head and above, blocked pointed opening. South window has some C20 stained glass. Chancel arch, C14, restored 1873, double chamfered and rebated with hood mould, mask stops and responds with water holding bases To right, canopied oak figure, 1928. Screen has C15 lower part with inscribed panels and above, traceried openings, inscribed transom and crest designed as war memorial by W.D. Caröe, 1921.
Chancel, restored 1873, has principal rafter roof with arch braces on large angel corbels. North side has to west, unglazed C14 traceried opening into organ chamber. To east, panelled dado incorporating aumbry. East end has similar dado and elaborate stepped reredos in C15 style by W.D. Caröe, 1925. East window has stained glass by Mrs. Robert Miles, 1873. South side has to east, combined piscina and triple sedilia, c.1300, with bracketed bowl and cusped trefoil heads. Above, two windows with C19 stained glass.
Fittings include chamfered C19 benches, roll moulded benches with ogee ends and foliate finials, plus canopied choir stalls, by W.D. Caröe, 1913. Carved octagonal oak memorial pulpit on ashlar base,1916. Buttressed oak lectern with pyramid bookstand and figure finial, c.1921. Font, C12, re-cut and with new base, 1926. Stepped conical timber cover with six turned balusters, 1932. Bench incorporating two C15 bench ends with lozenge finials.
Monuments include C13 effigy of Sir John de Bingham. Marble and slate tablets 1771, 1773, 1804. Brasses referring to clock (1871) and restoration (1873).
Listing NGR: SK7074539952
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27182
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing