Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GREGORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045689.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:20:28.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bassetlaw (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 81207 72196



4/25 Church of St. Gregory 1.2.67 G.V. I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, chancel shortened C18, restored 1890 when the chancel was rebuilt. The aisles and south porch were rebuilt in 1912. Dressed coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and red brick to clerestory eaves. Slate roofs to all but the tower and porch which are tile. Coped east chancel gable with single ridge cross. Bellcote to tower. Buttressed. String course to all but the tower, south east aisle and porch. Tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch and chancel. The angle buttressed tower of 2 stages with a string course at the juncture and pyramidal roof has a pointed chamfered arched west doorway with wooden door. Above is a single chamfered and deep inner splayed C12 lancet. Inthe belfry are 4 pointed arched C13 openings, each with 2 arched lights divided by a single shaft with a lozenge cut into the window heads of the east and west sides and a circle to the north and south sides. There are 2 round tie plates to the south and north sides. The north aisle, west wall, has a single arched 3 light window with tracery, cusping, hood mould and label stops. The angle buttressed north wall is set on a plinth and has a pointed moulded arched doorway. To the left are 3 C15 traceried windows each with 3 cusped lights under a flat arch and with hood mould and label stops. The east wall is also on a plinth and has a single arched and traceried 3 light window with cusping, hood mould and label stops. The central light is part blocked with ashlar. The C14 clerestory has 3 arched 2 light windows with tracery, cusping, hood mould and label stops. The east nave wall has evidence of an earlier chancel. The chancel is set on a plinth on the north and east sides. In the north wall is a single C15 3 light window with tracery, cusping, flat arch and hood mould. The angle buttressed east end has an arched 3 light C19 window with flowing tracery, hood mould and head label stops. In the south wall are 2 three light C15 windows with tracery, cusping, flat arches and hood moulds. The south aisle east wall has a single blocked pointed arcade arch, there is also a later blocked doorway. Leaning against the wall is a hollow, shaped, ashlar coffin. The angle buttressed south aisle has 3 three light C15 windows with tracery and cusping under flat arches and with hood moulds and label stops. Leaning against the wall are 2 slate head stones, that to John and Eliz. Rayson, 1740, is decorated with a skull and crossbones, to the right is a head stone to Elizabeth wife of John Rayson, 1742. Both are engraved with decorative lines. The diagonally buttressed south porch, with coped gable and single ridge cross, has a moulded arched entrance with hood mould and label stops. The interior roof is supported on 5 tranverse chamfered arches. In the east wall is a re-used sundial. The inner moulded arched doorway with C16 door has a hood mould and head label stops. The door is C16. The north aisle, west wall, has a single arched 3 light window with tracery, cusping, hood mould and label stops. The south clerestory corresponds to the north. Interior. 4 bay C13 nave arcades with double chamfered arches supported on tall quatrefoil piers with fillets and moulded capitals. The C13 double chamfered chancel arch is supported on keeled responds. A low chamfered ashlar wall decorated with small recessed arched panels separates the nave from the chancel. C12 tower arch, chamfered imposts supporting the pointed chamfered arch. The west doorway has a round arch. A sill course extends around the south and west walls, with the exception of the eastern most bay, of the south aisle. A similar course extends around the north aisle. In the north chancel wall is a rectangular piscina with inner traceried and cusped arch, hood mould and label stops. Over is a small rectangular panel with 3 sleeping soldiers in decorated ogee arcades. To the left is a smaller panel with 2 censing angels and a figure of Christ rising. To the right is a further smaller panel with the remains of 2 decorated ogee arcades. There are 3 further small remains of this decorative Easter Sepulchre high up in the wall. Beside the south doorway is the remains of a stoup. The south aisle wall has a piscina mounted onto a pedestal with foliate carved drain. The north aisle east window has an ashlar blocked centre panel with single corbel for a statue with a canopy over decorated with cusping and crocketed arches. In the north aisle wall is a square recess and an arched C14 tomb recess decorated with a stylised cross, there is an illegible inscription on the wall behind. Also in the north aisle is a C14 wimpled lady with rippling hems to both sides and the upper half of a C14 alabaster knight. In the tower is a monument decorated with a foliated cross. There are several C18 floor slabs and a hatchment. The pulpit, octagonal font and furniture are C19. Againt the south wall is a primitive alms box with iron fittings inscribed "Remember the Poor 1684". The east window of the north aisle contains some pale coloured C14 stained glass with 2 figures under arches in 2 of the lights. There are further fragments in the north west window, the 2 eastern most windows ofthe north aisle wall, the north chancel and east and west windows of the south aisle, south wall. All partly restored C19. C17 nave roof, other roofs C19.

Listing NGR: SK8120572196


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10216/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence G. Onyon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].