Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1045762

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Apr-1985



Ordnance survey map of WORKSOP TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045762 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 16:14:11.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 58478 78658


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/08/2014

SK 5878 NW 7/113

WORKSOP, POTTER STREET (South side), Worksop Town Hall


Town Hall, formerly Corn Exchange. 1851, by Charles Gilbert. Brick and ashlar with hipped slate roof. Ashlar dressings, rusticated quoins, moulded lintel and first floor bands, string course, modillioned eaves. 2 storeys plus attics, 3 bays, L-plan. Symmetrical facade with recessed pedimented central bay and vermiculated plinth with rusticated central section carrying iron railing. Central bay has 3 large round headed windows with heavily rusticated architraves and carved keystones, flanked in side bays by single casements in round headed recesses with Ionic colonettes. Recesses have rusticated architraves and keystones decorated with a cow's head and a cornucopia. Above, central Royal Arms and central 2 light casement with moulded architrave and pediment, flanked by single casements with hoods. Beyond, single aediculed casements with Corinthian colonettes and segmental pediments. Above again, central clock in ornate surround, flanked by strapwork panels and beyond, small slit windows in scrollwork surrounds. Above again, cross-gabled leaded bell turret with 4 timber posts. West side has 2 flanking pilasters, and central casement; above, 3 blank panels and Venetian window; above again, 2 glazing bar sashes. Rear wing, coursed squared rubble and brick, 2 storeys, 5 bays, has 5 round headed casements and above, 5 round headed sashes.

To the right of the façade a Carrara marble war memorial tablet to the eight men of the town who fell in the South African War (1899-1902), unveiled 1 August 1903 by Field Marshall Lord Grenfell and designed and made by George Colton (of Worksop). In the pediment a field gun is carved in relief. Above the memorial is a gabled wooden canopy. The leaded inscription reads: IN SACRED MEMORY OF / (8 names listed) / NATIVES OF THIS TOWN / WHO FELL IN THE CAMPAIGN / SOUTH AFRICA 1899 TO 1902 /  ' HOW ARE THE MIGHTY FALLEN IN THE MIDST OF THE BATTLE '  / II SAMUEL I.25.

Listing NGR: SK5847878658

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 241322

Legacy System: LBS


War Memorials Online, accessed 24 January 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 24 January 2017 from

End of official listing