This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HOLCOT WAR MEMORIAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOLCOT WAR MEMORIAL

List entry Number: 1045920

Location

HOLCOT WAR MEMORIAL, BACK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Holcot

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jul-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360303

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

At a village meeting on 16 February 1920 to discuss brass memorial plaques in the church and chapel it was announced that Mrs Daniels, the patron of the living, wished to fund a war memorial cross. The memorial, designed and erected by Pullens of Northampton, was unveiled by the Rural Dean on 27 July 1920.

Details

SP76NE 12/50

HOLCOT BACK LANE Holcot War Memorial

(Formerly listed as War Memorial)

II

The war memorial stands on a road junction near the centre of the village, where Back Lane branches off Moulton Road. It comprises a c. 4 m tall, medieval-style, Weldon stone cross with an elaborate foliate head. That stands on a squat two-stage octagonal shaft which rises from a square plinth on a stepped octagonal base of Derbyshire stone. Around this is a modern pebble surround with kerb (not included in listing). Slate panels are inset in the plinth. That to the front is inscribed THIS CROSS WAS GIVEN BY/ MRS E.L. DANIELS/ THE PATRON OF THIS LIVING. The rear face is inscribed TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN/ FROM THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919/. GREATER LOVE/ HATH NO MAN THAN THIS. The names of those who died in the war appear on the other two faces. The name of a villager who died in the Second World War was added on the front panel.

Sources; Northampton Mercury 20 February and 30 July 1920

Listing NGR: SP7924269681

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/05/2016

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 January 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/211050
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/14980
Other
Northampton Mercury 30 July 1920
Northampton Mercury, 20 February 1920

National Grid Reference: SP 79242 69681

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045920 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2018 at 05:58:09.

End of official listing