PARISH CHURCH AND BOUNDARY WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1046061
Date first listed:
17-Oct-1984
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH AND BOUNDARY WALL, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH AND BOUNDARY WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046061.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:27:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH AND BOUNDARY WALL, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Besthorpe
National Grid Reference:
SK 82566 64736

Details

SK 86 SW BESTHORPE THE GREEN (west side)

5/3 Parish Church and Boundary wall

G.V. II

Parish Church, 1844: brick with welsh slate and stone slab roofs, stone dressings, coped gables with kneelers. Nave with apse, gabled south porch, bell turret. South front has central porch with coped gable and cross, four centred arched doorway with label mould and close boarded door flanked by 2 double lancets with Y tracery. Apse has 3 single lancets and pitched roof. Bell turret has single lancet on each side, modillioned eaves, pyramidal slab roof with cross. Interior rendered except window reveals. Brick chancel arch with moulded ashlar soffit, responds and quoins. At west end, 2 wood-cased iron columns supporting bell turret. Nave roof has tie beam with 3 decorative pendants, supported by curved brackets on carved wooden corbels. Queen posts with arch braces to purlins and curved brackets forming mouchettes in spandrels. Apse roof semi circular with common rafters. Plain C19 deal pews, communion rail 1898. Boundary wall, brick, with cast iron coping carrying ornate cast iron railing and gate.

Listing NGR: SK8256664736

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
242528
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12813/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Joseph Pinder. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].