BLOXHAM SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1046201

Date first listed: 14-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: BLOXHAM SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BLOXHAM SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046201 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 18:14:19.

Location

Statutory Address: BLOXHAM SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Bloxham

National Grid Reference: SP 43091 36203

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BLOXHAM HIGH STREET SP4236 (East side) 8/133 Bloxham School

GV II

School. Founded 1854 in farmhouse now forming core of part of present school. G.E. Street: 1854 North block; 1864 schoolroom wing; 1869 Dining Hall; 1871 chapel. Egerton Library 1894. Early school in farmhouse now incorporated in range of buildings facing south. Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Plain tile roof. Stone ridge stack. L-plan. 2 storeys plus attic. 5-window range. Entrance to left. To right two 2-light casements, 2 sash windows with keystoned flat arches and a bay window. 5 sashes to first floor. 3 single and one twin dormer have hipped tiled roofs and 2-light casements, dated 1928. Flat bands to both floors. Wing to left of 2 storeys plus attic. The north block is the original school building and forms the main frontage to the Banbury Road. It lies on the north side of the grass quad: Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Plain tile roof. 2 stone stacks to right. 3-unit plan. 2 storeys plus attic. Gothic revival style. 6-window range to ground floor. Doorway to left has pointed, arched head with hood mould and head stops. 2 buttresses. 4 paired 2-light windows to first floor. Three 3-light gabled attic dormers. Stone relieving arches. School room now Crake House: Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Plain tile roof. 2 storeys plus attic. 7-window range to ground floor. Traceried windows to all floors. 3 irregularly spaced gable fronted attic dormers have ornamental ridge tiles. Most window dressings of limestone. 2 stone end stacks and one lateral stack. Dining Hall: Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Flain tile roof. Stone end stacks to left and right and lateral to left. 3 storeys plus attic. 5-window range. Change in style from Gothic revival to square-headed traceried windows with dressings of Bath Stone. Entrance to left. All openings have relieving arches. First floor: 1:3:1; 2 buttresses between stone mullioned and transomed windows which have trefoiled, cusped heads. Second floor: Single- and 2-light windows with trefoiled heads. Attic: three 3-light and one 2-light stone mullioned window. Ornamental ridge tiles. Chapel: Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Plain tile roof. Stone copings. Chapel at first floor level with classrooms below. 2 storeys. 4 bays. Decorated style. 2- and 3-light trefoil-headed windows to ground floor. Buttresses. Four 2-light windows to chapel. Traceried east window of 5 lights. Octagonal west turret has gabled lucarnes. Stone copings with kneelers. Egerton Library: Added to right of original farmhouse. Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Plain tile roof. Library in ground floor, chapel above. 4 lancets to grDund floor, 3 to chapel. Stone copings. Bloxham School belongs to the Society of Woodard Schools. Interior not inspected. (Smith, B.S., A History of Bloxham School, 1978, pp,6,8,10,35,54; V.C.H,: Oxfordshire, Vol IX, p.57; guidings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p,480).

Listing NGR: SP4309136203

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 244236

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 480
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 57
Smith, B S , A History of Bloxham School, (1978)

End of official listing