This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1046238

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Barford St. John and St. Michael

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 244125

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP43SW BARFORD ST.JOHN & ST.MICHAEL CHURCH LANE (North side) Barford St.John 4/23 Church of St. John 08/12/55

GV II*

Church. C12, C13 and C15. Restoration 1860's by G.E. Street. Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Stonesfield slate roof. Nave, chancel and south porch. Chancel: 3-light Perpendicular east window. Single lancet to north. Traceried window with square head, pointed arched doorway with plank door and 2-light lancet with limestone hood moulds to south. Nave: Two 2-light Perpendicular windows with square hood moulds and small 4-centred arched doorway to north. To south two 2-light Decorated windows with some renewed stonework. South doorway: Romanesque with zig zag decoration and jamb shafts with volute capitals, plank door. South porch: By Street, noted as an eccentric addition (Pevsner), octagonal tower with pyramidal roof and foliated circles to bell opening. Interior: Early English chancel and chancel arch. Fittings: Romanesque font, tub shaped on a Perpendicular base. Monument to James Belcher 1722 on north wall of chancel, decorated with cherubs. Date 1662 carved on highest stage of tower. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974 p.445; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol IX, p.37).

Listing NGR: SP4389333201

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 445
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 37

National Grid Reference: SP 43893 33201

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046238 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 10:09:48.

End of official listing