Church of St Lawrence

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1046265
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
Church of St Lawrence, Main Road, Milcombe

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Lawrence
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046265 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 03:29:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Lawrence, Main Road, Milcombe

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Milcombe
National Grid Reference:
SP 41034 34593

Details

SP4134 9/74 MILCOMBE MAIN ROAD (south side) Church of St Lawrence

08/12/55

II Church. C13. Restoration by G.E Street 1859 (Pevsner). Ironstone with Welsh slate roof. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle, north porch. West tower of three stages with crenellated parapet, finials and diagonal buttresses. Single lancets to second stage and paired lancets to bell tower. Fragments of C13 stonework in hood moulds and moulded jambs of west door and in north aisle window which has Y-tracery. 1859 rebuilding included chancel, nave, south door, north aisle and north porch. All windows with geometrical tracery date from the restoration.

Interiors C15 screen with tracery in the upper and lower panels. Repainted in C19. Tracery from former Perpendicular bench ends fixed to a panel in the east end of the north aisle. C15 font with small bowl on an octagonal pedestal.

Listing NGR: SP4103434593

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
244085
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 704

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12363/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J. B. Moseley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].