This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHAPEL OF EASE OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF EASE OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1046341

Location

CHAPEL OF EASE OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, B4031

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Deddington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 243861

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP43SW DEDDINGTON B4031 (North side) Hempton 2/137 Chapel of Ease of St. John 08/12/55 the Evangelist

GV II Chapel of ease. 1850 by Reverend William Wilson, Vicar of Banbury for Reverend William Wilson (senior) of Over Morton House. Coursed squared marlstone with ashlar dressings; plain-tile roofs. Combined nave and chancel, south porch, and schoolroom on north side. Early-English style. 3-bay nave/chancel has chamfered lancets with hood moulds, some in pairs, and the east window is a triplet of graduated lancets; west gable wall has a pair of tall lancets flanking a wide stepped buttress which rises to support a gabled bellcote. South porch has a continuously-moulded arch and a gable parapet with apex cross and moulded projecting kneelers. Schoolroom, in place of a north aisle, has similar lancets and a shouldered doorway. Parallel steep-pitched roofs rise from ashlar eaves coves. Interior: continuously-moulded 2-bay arcade leading to schoolroom; painted decoration on chancel roof; C12 font from Over Morton Church incised with chevrons; C19 fittings. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p635; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p115)

Listing NGR: SP4442531849

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 635
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 115

National Grid Reference: SP 44425 31849

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046341 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2018 at 06:39:20.

End of official listing