This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ALMSHOUSES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALMSHOUSES

List entry Number: 1046348

Location

ALMSHOUSES, 1-4, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Deddington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 05-May-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 243883

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP4631 DEDDINGTON CHURCH STREET (South side) 8/159 Nos.1 to 4 (consec), 08/12/55 Almshouses (Formerly listed as Almshouses)

GV II Row of 4 almshouses. 1818. Marlstone ashlar; Welsh-slate roof with brick stacks. Single-unit plans. Gothick style. 2 storeys. Symmetrical front, with storeyband, has a central recessed passage entry flanked by pairs of cottages with adjoining doors, each with a lattice-glazed 2-light casement at each floor. All openings have chamfered pointed-arched stone surrounds, and the windows have Y tracery, echoed in the door panels. Roof has projecting eaves. Gable stacks and central double stack have plinths and octagonal shafts with projecting caps. Interiors not inspected. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p572; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p87)

Listing NGR: SP4679331628

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 572
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 87

National Grid Reference: SP 46793 31628

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046348 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-May-2018 at 09:06:18.

End of official listing