FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1046356

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 05-May-1988

Statutory Address: FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE, BLOXHAM ROAD

Statutory Address: FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE, HORN HILL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046356 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 15:26:15.

Location

Statutory Address: FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE, BLOXHAM ROAD

Statutory Address: FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE, HORN HILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Adderbury

National Grid Reference: SP 46518 35302

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP4635 ADDERBURY HORN HILL ROAD (West side) Adderbury West 6/75 Friends Meeting House 08/12/55 (Formerly listed as Friends Meeting House, Bloxham Road)

GV II* Quaker meeting house. 1675 for Bray Doyley. Coursed squared marlstone with some ashlar dressings and wooden lintels; concrete plain-tile roof with rebuilt ashlar gable stack. Single range. One storey plus loft galleries. Symmetrical front has a central doorway with double doors flanked by large 3-light leaded casements, all with stop-chamfered lintels; right end and both gables have similar casements. Steep-pitched roof has stone gable parapets with moulded projecting kneelers, and has the stack to left with a renewed datestone inscribed "1675"; central gabled dormer has a moulded cornice above a 2-light leaded casement. Interior: stone-paved floor with a dais along the rear wall; C18 matchboard dado with fixed perimeter benches; winder stair leading to a 3-sided gallery carried on chamfered beams with a simple slat balustrade. The interior is complete with late C17/early C18 pine benches and represents an unusual survival. (VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, p12; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p415)

Listing NGR: SP4651835302

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 243797

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 415
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 12

End of official listing