RAWLINGS HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1046372

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 05-May-1988

Statutory Address: RAWLINGS HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of RAWLINGS HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046372 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 13:24:37.

Location

Statutory Address: RAWLINGS HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Adderbury

National Grid Reference: SP 47430 35591

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP4735 ADDERBURY THE GREEN (South side) Adderbury East 7/117 Rawlins House and attached 08/12/55 Wall (Formerly listed as Grammar School)

GV II School and master's house, now house. 1589 for Reverend Christopher Rawlins, extended and probably restored 1847. Coursed squared marlstone with ashlar dressings; Stonesffield-slate roof with ashlar and brick stacks. 2-unit plan plus extended schoolroom. 2 storeys plus attic. 3 bays to right of front form the house, and have a central doorway with a chamfered stone surround flanked by windows of 4 and 3 lights, plus windows of 3, 2 and 3 lights at first floor; all windows have hollow-chamfered stone mullions, labels and leaded glazing. Schoolroom section has a very tall 4-light stone-mullioned window plus a further chamfered stone doorway; added bay to left has a matching window, as has the gable wall, and continues the chamfered plinth. Right gable wall has aligned mullioned windows of 4, 3 and 2 lights. Steep-pitched roof has gable parapets and one hipped 2-light leaded roof dormer; 2 large lateral stacks to rear and a small stack on the left gable. Single-storey subsidiary range, extending from the junction of builds in an L shape, includes a stone-mullioned window with 2 arched lights and a 3-light mullioned window which may have been re-used. Lintel above the principal door records the foundation in 1589 as does a later inscription on the gable wall. Interior: wide Tudor-arched chamfered stone fireplace; large inglenook fireplace with chamfered bressumer; stop-chamfered Cross beams and inner lintels; stop-chamfered tie beams, in the double-height t schoolroom section with C19 arched braces rising from moulded corbels. Stone wall, approximately 2.3 metres high with a 3-course triangular coping, extends approximately 10 metres eastwards from right gable wall and contains a Tudor-arched chamfered stone doorway. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp415-416; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, p11)

Listing NGR: SP4743035591

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 243840

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 415-6
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 11

End of official listing