GROUP OF 4 CHEST TOMBS 1 METRE TO 4 METRES EAST OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1046387

Date first listed: 05-May-1988

Statutory Address: GROUP OF 4 CHEST TOMBS 1 METRE TO 4 METRES EAST OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 4 CHEST TOMBS 1 METRE TO 4 METRES EAST OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046387 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 13:49:24.

Location

Statutory Address: GROUP OF 4 CHEST TOMBS 1 METRE TO 4 METRES EAST OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Adderbury

National Grid Reference: SP 47113 35379

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP4735 ADDERBURY HIGH STREET (West side) Adderbury East 7/54 Group of 4 chest tombs 1m to 4m E of chancel of Church of St. Mary GV II 4 chest tombs. Late C17, 1705, 1721 and early C18. Marlstone and limestone. The most northerly, a rectangular marlstone chest with deeply-projecting moulded base and cover, has a small fielded inscription panel on each side, a shield on one end, and at the other a surround of drapery enclosing the raised legend "WL/1705". The inscriptions are in Latin and commemorate William, Bishop of Llandaff, formerly Vicar of Adderbury. The next, a plain marlstone chest with shallow incised panels and a moulded base and cover, is probably early C18, but the inscription on the cover is largely illegible. The late-C17 limestone chest, 1 metre east of the south-east buttress, has deep moulded base and cover, and has one side and one end decorated with square panels divided by a central baluster in relief; the other end has an inscription panel, now illegible. To east of it is a rectangular marlstone chest with moulded base and cover, square recessed corner balusters and fielded inscription panels; the earliest inscription commemorates John Lovesey (d.1721).

Listing NGR: SP4711335379

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 243776

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing